domain mapping on cpanel strange behaviour

Hi, I just signed up yesterday and am trying out the plugins and configs, and I'm trying to get the domain mapping to work on my server. Let me describe the scenarios and see if you can help me figure out what is wrong!

CASE 1:
I set the DNS for the domain I want to map in the registrar to point to the MU cpanel, installation account, then add the domain as a parked/addon domain = it works

CASE 2: I set the A record at the domain registrar to the MU cpanel installation IP = it doesnt work, no mapping

CASE 3: I set a CNAME or A record from ANOTHER cpanel to my MU cpanel IP = it doesnt work, no mapping

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I need it to map from other registrars or cpanels, without me having to add the NS or adding the domains as parked/addon in the MU cpanel. Is this even possible?

Thanks!
Sam

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Sam Smith,
    Hope you are doing good today!

There are two ways to map a domain. Either using the CNAME or A REORD. If you have dedicated IP address, then the domain just needs to be resolved on that IP address where you have installed WordPress MultiSites and rest will be handled by Domain Mapping plugin.

Please check A RECORD & CANME and Common FAQ sections in Domain Mapping usage guide page for more details:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Sam Smith
    • Flash Drive

Hi Sajid, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately the link you sent me is not new, I have already read that and countless others, thats why I decided to ask for help.

When I add an A record from a domain from its registrar (say godaddy), and nothing else, pointing to the IP of the MU, it doesnt work. Same with CNAME. it doesnt work.

The only way to get it to work is to add the name servers from the cpanel that hosts the MU, then add that domain as a parked/addon domain and then, the mapping works. This is the only way I can get it to work but its crippling and unpractical to have all the domains pointing to the name servers becasue some of my clients already have configured domains and only want to point the A record for the website.

I need help with this, where do we start debugging? What info can I give that will help with finding out what the issue is?

Thanks,
    Sam

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Sam Smith , I trust you are doing well today!

As mentioned in the usage page, you need to point your name servers to your host first, in order to manage domain name from your cPanel.

Once you add the domain names as a parked domains or add-on domain, point the Document Root to your WordPress Multisite directory.

If you don't own the domains, then you will need a dedicated IP. After this, you need to set a DNS record for their domain and point to that IP. Only then domain panel will work.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.