Domain Mapping or Multi domains?

Hi, I have a Network site with a sub-directory install, url.com.
I have 4 sites in the network: url.com, url.com/site1. url.com/site2. and url.com/site3

I want to create a new network site using URL2.com, and then map or use those original site url's and sub-directories. url.com, url.com/site1. url.com/site2. amd url.com/site3

Would it be better to use Domain Mapping or MultiDomains? (or any other WPMU plugins).

The purpose is to have more control over the backend and clients would not be able to recreate the work and move on.

I hope this makes sense, I am a tad confused reading about these options.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Skaarb,

Hope you're doing well today! Let's clear up the different between these 2 plugins first :slight_smile:

Domain Mapping: Allows you to turn the url from your subsite (url.com/site1) to a top level domain such as: site1.com

OR

You can map to subdomains too, so url.com/site1 could become subdomain.url2.com

Multi-Domains: Allows for multiple domain options for site sign up. Example, right now you have your sites at url.com/site1 but maybe you want to give 2 options or have 1 private url for special situations, so you can add another domain and new sites can then be: url2.com/site2

So, you want to create a brand new network then map existing sites in your old network to the new one? The sites won't actually be part of the new network but just have urls with the same new network url?

This could work if you don't mind mapping the old sites (url.com/site1) to a new site subdomain, ie. site1.url2.com.

The main point here is that these sites won't actually be part of the new network. If you want to add the old sites to the new network then you would want to use something like our snapshot plugin and export the subsite then import it into your new network :slight_smile:

Hope this helps Skaarb, more than happy to help further here if needed!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.