Domain Mapping Plugin – how to point domains to a multi-site hosted on a sub-domain

I have more than one multi-site under one shared server set up. I have one main domain that my server is under, and I have several Sub-Domains, 2 of which I have set up a WordPress Multi-Site install on in addition to the WP Multi-Site install on the main domain name, so three in total.

With the domain mapping plug-in, I have been able to get it working for the sites that are under the main URL install, but I have not been able to under the sub-domain installs. When I go to one of the URL’s that I am hoping will be pointing to a wordpress site that is on one of my sub-domain installed multi-site set ups, it’s taking me to the main account URL everytime (the URL that the server is set up under, not that particular network of sites home, which is a sub-domain).

So my question is, what am I doing wrong in the DNS A Record set up on my host site.

how can I get them to point to the sub-domain then the IP of the site rather than just going to the main domain that I have hosted there. What is the NAME I should use for the A Record?

localhost.nameofsite.com < is not working for sites under the sub-domain, but is working for sites under the main hosted domain.

I have tried: localhost.subdomainsiteurl.nameofsite.com and subdomainsiteurl.nameofsite.com and neither has worked.

Any suggestions?

• Han
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi fotnets, I never seen multi-site setup like what you do. Seem the plugin doesn’t support this configuration because A record always pointing to the main site domain (the staff here will clarify that) . Why don’t use another domain for another multisite install?

• fotnets
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Perhaps my explanation was confusing. I am using another domain for my second and third multi-site installs.

I’m really just saying that my account with my hosts is set up with one main domain in the public_html folder and all the other domains are folders in that folder. So perhaps I have to set the “DNS A Record” differently for them because the sub-sites are not working as is on the domains that are “Add On Domains” with my hosts rather than the original domain I registered.

does that make sense? : )

• Han
    • The Crimson Coder

ah gotcha. However it means all your multisites install use the same dedicated IP. In this case, you have to do manual work when users want to map a domain to one of your “add on domains”, it’s called “domain parking”. CMIIW :o)

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

In short; you can’t.

Typical server configuration won’t allow you to do that so you’ll need to tweak that which I’m guessing you won’t be able to do as you’re on shared hosting.

Plus, you’ll probably need a dedicated IP address for each Multisite.

You really shouldn’t be on shared hosting with that kind of set up anyway, to be honest.

Thanks,

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.