Domain Mapping Plugin on multi network

Does the Domain Mapping Plugin need to be enable Network Wide or just activated on the Primary Site? Also when I went to get the plugin it said Requires multisite. So do I need multisite in order to run Multinetwork or are they totally different things?

Thank you,

Ryan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Ryan,

I hope you're having a nice day!

Let's sort it out part-by-part. I'll start from your last question, may I? :slight_smile:

So do I need multisite in order to run Multinetwork or are they totally different things?

If you wish to run a network of sites then you have two options:

1. Setup multiple "standard" WordPress sites
    2. Setup one WordPress Multisite.

1. This is fairly easy but works well only if those sites aren't connected to tightly in terms of users, content etc. In other words: if those sites don't share resources, this can work.

2. This is definitely a way to go if you plan to create a real "network" of sites that are (or will be in future) interconnected, share users and/or content and first of all: if you want to easily manage all the sites from one place with a single interface. This is also the best solution if you wan't to allow you users to create their own sites in your network - this would be similar to running your own blog-network service like wordpress.com or blogspot.com.

Also when I went to get the plugin it said Requires multisite.

Yes, it does. This is because of for what tasks this plugin is designed. The idea behind it is to allow you (or the users that run their own sites within your network) to assign domains to the sites in the network.

Let's say that you've your network under the "maindomain.com" domain. All sites created will have addresses like these:

site1.maindomain.com
    site2.maindomain.com
    site3.maindomain.com

etc.

With Domain Mapping plugin you can assign other domains so instead of

site1.maindomain.com

you'll get for example

mysupersite.com

This is all for a multisite environment. If you have many single (non-network), separate sites those are usually under their own domains from the beginning. And if not, you don't need any plugin to assign domains to it.

Does the Domain Mapping Plugin need to be enable Network Wide or just activated on the Primary Site?

Yes. Hence what I've just wrote above. That being said the Domain Mapping plugin has to be network-activated in order to work.

If you have any further questions on this, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be glad to help!

Cheers,
    Adam

• ITsupport

Hello! Thanks for the response! Please keep in mind that many of these questions are due to the many number of Plugins from third parties that have been wiping out my installation and most recently my whole network. Having to load tables from backup 2 weeks prior etc. the actual state everything is and should be in gets muddled and I want to move on, so I appreciate the detail.

Yeah, I figured the need to be on network level out last night, it's only available there.

I can't wait to do a "pure multisite" in fact I am doing one next. Though this needs to be, for me, a multinetwork, the users will not coexist except on the primary site.

So if I do not have a multisite (do I, I don't think so, is it just an installation or code written in like multinetwork?) then should I deactivate it?)

Finally, I would like the function of being able to have Organizations change the name from theirsite.mysite.com to theirsite.com with a pay upgrade or whatever.

Two Huge Questions on same topic; do BPmultinetwork and WPmultinetwork need to be on Network level. or do they simply reach out. I guess the clarification I'm looking for would be that they don't because they do not need to be activated site by site. They currently are.

The multinetwork works apparently and is cool insofar as it does not share users accross tables!

Also, I want the sites to pull to the front showing the register of sites available at the front page. I am going to test that now.

Thank you so much. Awesome dotcom dude. Seriously awesomedotcomage. Doesn't it feel good to MultiClarify?

Ryan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Ryan!

Please keep in mind that many of these questions are due to the many number of Plugins from third parties that have been wiping out my installation and most recently my whole network. Having to load tables from backup 2 weeks prior etc. the actual state everything is and should be in gets muddled and I want to move on, so I appreciate the detail.

That must have been a pain, I fully understand this :slight_frown:

So if I do not have a multisite (do I, I don't think so, is it just an installation or code written in like multinetwork?) then should I deactivate it?)

WP Multisite is a "special kind" of standard WordPress install. Actually, having already existing "standard" single WordPress you can easily turn it to a Multisite. Please take a look here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

As for WP Multi Network. I assume you're referring to this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-multi-network/.

If so, then yes: you need WP Multisite to use it. I haven't use it personally but the idea sounds awesome :slight_smile:

Finally, I would like the function of being able to have Organizations change the name from theirsite.mysite.com to theirsite.com with a pay upgrade or whatever.

I've got a solution then. These two plugins together will do the trick:

Domain Mapping
    It allows you to assign domains (single or multiple) to sites in your network. It also allows you to let your users do it.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Pro Sites
    To put it short: it allows you to charge users for the usage of some features of your network, including granting them access to aforementioned Domain Mapping (or not - depending on a subscription plan they sign up for).

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

Two Huge Questions on same topic; do BPmultinetwork and WPmultinetwork need to be on Network level. or do they simply reach out.

These are installed and activated from your WordPress Multisite "Network admin" dashboard, thus reaching the entire network "out-of-the-box".

Doesn't it feel good to MultiClarify?

Surely it does! And a "MultiClarify"? That's the good one! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Adam

• ITsupport

Reply by: Adam Czajczyk

Hey Ryan,
    I hope you're having a nice day!
    Let's sort it out part-by-part. I'll start from your last question, may I? :slight_smile:
    So do I need multisite in order to run Multinetwork or are they totally different things?
    If you wish to run a network of sites then you have two options:
    1. Setup multiple "standard" WordPress sites
    2. Setup one WordPress Multisite.
    I did all this last year. So I have a MultiSite..! good....
    1. This is fairly easy but works well only if those sites aren't connected to tightly in terms of users, content etc. In other words: if those sites don't share resources, this can work.
    2. This is definitely a way to go if you plan to create a real "network" of sites that are (or will be in future) interconnected, share users and/or content and first of all: if you want to easily manage all the sites from one place with a single interface. This is also the best solution if you wan't to allow you users to create their own sites in your network - this would be similar to running your own blog-network service like wordpress.com or blogspot.com.
    Also when I went to get the plugin it said Requires multisite.
    Yes, it does. This is because of for what tasks this plugin is designed. The idea behind it is to allow you (or the users that run their own sites within your network) to assign domains to the sites in the network.
    Let's say that you've your network under the "maindomain.com" domain. All sites created will have addresses like these:
    site1.maindomain.com
    site2.maindomain.com
    site3.maindomain.com
    etc.
    With Domain Mapping plugin you can assign other domains so instead of
    site1.maindomain.com
    you'll get for example
    mysupersite.com
    This is all for a multisite environment. If you have many single (non-network), separate sites those are usually under their own domains from the beginning. And if not, you don't need any plugin to assign domains to it.
    Does the Domain Mapping Plugin need to be enable Network Wide or just activated on the Primary Site?
    Yes. Hence what I've just wrote above. That being said the Domain Mapping plugin has to be network-activated in order to work.

So I just wrote in bemultinetwork =true in to the code . we'll see...

I also did not ever see one other aspect the properties for the wpmu folder never saw that to be set in the 700's .

And why will my plugins work outside and should the wpmnetwork and bpmultinetwork plugins be in that folder inside wpcontent? they are in the plugins activated network wide, seeminly working.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Ryan!

I also did not ever see one other aspect the properties for the wpmu folder never saw that to be set in the 700's .

And why will my plugins work outside and should the wpmnetwork and bpmultinetwork plugins be in that folder inside wpcontent? they are in the plugins activated network wide, seeminly working.

I'm sorry but I'm not quite getting you here :slight_frown:

Plugins are always installed inside the /wp-content/plugins folder, apart so called "Must Use plugins" which are located in /wp-content/mu-plugins folder. Could you please elaborate a bit though? I'm a bit confused with your question...

Have a nice day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.