Domain Mapping plugin or not

I'm trying to set up a WP MU network and configure sites with different domains.
I'm beginner in WP MU world !
Once the wp multisite installed with a main domain (let say mywebsite.eu), when i add a new site (let suppose i’m working with subdomain config), by default, the url of the new site will be : newsite.mywebsite.eu.
When the site is configured, i can simply change this url (and also the home url > network admin > sites > settings) from newsite.mywebsite.eu to newsite.com… of course, i made all dns changes on newsite.com (pointing to the right IP, and so on…). This works and WP maps the domain to the right site.
SO why do i need the Domain Mapping Plugin ? Is it something specific the plugin will manage ?
And if i use it, i have to keep the siteurl / home url settings with the original subdomain (newsite.mywebsite.eu) ?
It’s a confusion in my mind about all this, about the domain to be mapped set in the plugin, and in the site settings (network admin > sites > newsite.mywebsite.eu > settings).
Thanks a lot.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Levente,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Mapping domain to your subsite can also be done that way of course, however with Domain Mapping you will have some additional options like mapping multiple domains, cross-domain autologin, force http/https and will also allow your subsite admins to do the mapping from their dashboard without the need of super-admin account.

Domain Mapping also allows you to integrate eNom or WHMCS so you can sell domains to your user.

There's also integration with Pro Sites which you can use to allow domain mapping only for subsites that have specific level purchased.

You can read more about Domain Mapping on plugin usage page here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage

And if i use it, i have to keep the siteurl / home url settings with the original subdomain (newsite.mywebsite.eu)

You can leave original subdomain as the DM plugin allows you to choose if site will open as typed in address or if it will redirect to mapped one if original is entered.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Levente

Ok, thanks a lot...
    An other question, do you know any issues with the plugin and Visual Composer plugin ?
    I've a curious experience with a WP MU install with two sites only. Both work well, but once Domain Mapping plugin activated, i get some bugs in wp admin (on pages setup, no more VC for page update, not even the date to publish a page or a post can be changed any more)... so i have to deactivate the plugin AND (?!?) come back to a "day-1 version" of my mysql database to get the sites work again. I have to say that the WP installation is maybe not the "cleanest one" i tried many plugins on it the past days, just for testing, so maybe the problem is anywhere... but never know, maybe you have an idea ?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Levente!

I came across some unexpected issues with Visual Composer on Multisite setups with Domain Mapping recently but that's still nothing that could be identified as a "repeating pattern". As my colleague Predrag explained in Domain Mapping you can "force" redirect to mapped domain or set it to be able to access the site via both original domain (subdomain of your main domain) or mapped domain. Accessing site - while we are speaking about VC front-end editing - via original domain should work fine.

However, if you are experiencing any issues related to Domain Mapping + VC "combo" I think it would be worth investigating and I'd be happy to take a look at it. That being said, could you please elaborate a bit on what was happening exactly? Is there also any place/way for me to see and test that (e.g. a site of yours to which you could grant me a support access)?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Levente

Hello,
    Thanks a lot for your answer.
    In any way, i'll erase this WP install and set un a new one from 0, so, actually it's a good "test platform" and it will be helpful if you can take a look at it. By the way, i think there is other problems (maybe some bad configs at the host providers side, dns, and so on, as now i can access wp-admin via http://www.domain.be but not via domain.be... whereas my main domain is rightly domain.be).

• Dimitris

Greetings Levente,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

Is the domain you're talking about, the one that have been granted with support access?
    In this case, I can see that domain.be is accessible as it's redirecting to http://www.domain.be, which could be a server, DNS or .htaccess setting.

I was also unable to access the dashboard of the mapped sub domain as I was keep redirecting to the same url without success (the page never actually loaded). Is this happening to your end also? This could be a flaw of our support access functionality. Please advise! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Levente

Hello Dimitris,

Yes, that's it, the concerned domain is the one that is granted with support access.

And yes, i've the same access issues.

To be complete, on this WP MU install, i made several tests, activate, deactivate plugins, and so on, i've also deleted Domain Mapping plugin and his tables in the database, so it's normal that the plugin do not behaves as it must do...

The issue i'm wondering about is the following : once i've installed the Domain Mapping plugin for the first time, i got issues on the pages (setup) using Visual Composer (you can see what i mean by going in the admin area of the main site (1) > pages > modify a page : no VC available to set up the page - only the shortcodes are shown / and try to click on the publishing date or privacy settings of the page, you can not modify anything... ), so i would like to be sure it's not due to the pluging but rather to a corrupted wp install maybe or something else.

• Dimitris

Hey there Levente,

Yes, that's it, the concerned domain is the one that is granted with support access.

And yes, i've the same access issues.

As this installation seems rather destroyed, please proceed with a new clean install and take care of Domain Mapping installation process in order to have a new working website. :slight_smile:

The issue i'm wondering about is the following : once i've installed the Domain Mapping plugin for the first time, i got issues on the pages (setup) using Visual Composer (you can see what i mean by going in the admin area of the main site (1) > pages > modify a page : no VC available to set up the page - only the shortcodes are shown / and try to click on the publishing date or privacy settings of the page, you can not modify anything... ), so i would like to be sure it's not due to the pluging but rather to a corrupted wp install maybe or something else.

If we could examine this under the fresh installation I just mentioned it would be best, as we will narrow down things easier if issues are still up.
    Meanwhile, I think that Visual Composer is running without errors in your main site. I was also able to see the editor and make the "Contact" page "prive" and public again. Am I missing something obvious here? Please advise! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Can i give you a std admin access somewhere, to log in and just look a page setup ?

Sure, as this is public forum though, you must send us your details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -WordPress login url
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Dimitris

• Levente

I think i found out something.

First, whereas the siteurl in _sitemeta table is http://domain.be, siteurl and home in _options table are set to http://www.domain.be ?!? Why ? I'm quite sure i've not set it as that when i've installed WP...

And for my problem, i've deactivated CDN in my hosting configs, and i got a normal situation back in my WP admin. That can explain why you (from US ?) and me from Belgium had a different "experience" when logged in the WP admin. However i cleaned CDN cache many times...

Is this makes any sense ?

I requested explanation from my hosting provider.

Thanks again for your support and quick and clear answers, when you are a beginner in WP MU world as me, it's very helpful.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Levente!

Thanks for passing this information to us.

This makes sense and also CDN may indeed cause different experience based on location because the whole point of CDN is to server your site via the nearest "point" to the visitor. Sometimes that may also require serving it from cache.

We were checking your site from different countries (we're a globally distributed team) of which none was US but none was Belgium as well :slight_smile:

I'm still very interested in getting to know what your host would say about that all so please let me know about it when you get a replay.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Levente

I'm back from the host provider's answer.

They tell me to add in my wp-config the following line : define('CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false );

I didn't try it yet, i would like to understand first what does it make.

By the way, I found an article about a very similar problem and the same solution : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32996217/forced-to-use-defineconcatenate-scripts-false-all-of-a-sudden

Others articles on google say that this allows only to pass through the issue but not to identify the issue itself... so i do not feel i'm resolving the problem.

• Dimitris

Hey there Levente,

hope you're doing good today and thanks for the feedback!

This may be a solution for you, feel free to backup wp-config.php file first and then proceed with this.
    If this is indeed something that will revert your issue, it seems that there're some assets (scripts or styles) that don't render successfully in admin pages after concatenation. These may be tricky to be found, but still another solution would also be a way to pass through rather than globally resolve this issue for all installations in different hosting providers.

I look forward for your results on this! :slight_smile:
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.