Domain Mapping preventing Admin access to website (causing infinite PHP loop)

Hi

Something very strange just happened. I have a multisite installation with Pro Sites and the Domain Mapping plugins installed (all other plugins are disabled).

Everything was working fine then all of a sudden when trying to access the admin panel for any website with a mapped domain caused a php script time out (30 seconds). The actual website frontend works fine and all the features etc are working. It's just when I access the admin panel for a website.

Note that accessing the Network admin panel works just fine. Also, I can get back into the admin panel if I either disable the plugin or empty the domain_mapping table.

I'm using WP 3.4.1 with domain mapping 3.0.7

• Chris Burke
    • Flash Drive

Okay just to follow up I uninstalled the plugin and reinstalled it, which didn't work. Luckily this is just a testing setup at the moment so I deleted the two sites, recreated them and re-enabled domain mapping plugin and all seems to be okay again.

Makes me nervous to use this on real clients.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi there!

Very sorry you are having trouble but very glad you have seemed to rectify the issue.

Do you recall what your settings were within domain mapping when the issue occurred?

What were you doing when the site admin stopped working?

Best,

Kimberly

• Chris Burke
    • Flash Drive

Hi Kimberly, thanks for the response.

Yes it has the "The domain used for the administration area should be the" setting was set to the domain entered by user. The domains were all resolving to the servers static IP just fine.

It was strange I had just created an event group under the WPMU Events plugin and hit save, then I got the time out, CPU maxed to 100%. Tried disabling the events plugin via the network admin but that didn't fix it, not until I disabled all the plugins and found that it was the domain mapping plugin causing the problem.

Cheers

Chris

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Thank you for going through the trouble shooting protocol and getting this down to the domain mapping plugin.

This is a very unusual occurrence you are having there which I have never heard of or seen since I have been with WPMU Dev.

My first question would have to be what URL is this occurring on?

Do you have a dedicated IP?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Chris Burke
    • Flash Drive

Hi Joe

Thanks for the response. Yes it was strange. My thinking is that it was an unstable server setup. I built the server using CentOS, nginx, mysql and php-fpm using repo's. However I have since started again and compiled all components from source which has led to a much leaner system.

Haven't had a chance to really test it out yet but will let you know if the problem occurs again.

The server is on a static IP.

Cheers

Chris

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Thank you for letting us know and happy to hear that you have gotten things rolling on your WordPress installation.

If you have any further issues please feel free to open a new ticket.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.