Domain Mapping Primary Domain / Canonical

Hi,

I was comparing your Domain Mapping plugin to Donncha/Ron's, and I noticed that theirs enables users to set which domain is the primary one. I'm not sure what the advantage of that is, but I assume it's related to Canonical URLs and avoiding duplicate content. Is that true?

Otherwise, do I really need that feature (and do our users need it?)

Thanks,

Mark

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello wpcdn,

I've used that domain mapping plugin in the past and while it requires you to specify a primary domain per blog, I believe it's functionally doing the same as our Domain Mapping plugin. I think it's just using that primary domain name for the url rewrites, no?

Cheers,
    David

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Hi David,

I am not sure, but I think that the Primary Domain function must be important...especially since there's a warning that turning off the Primary Domain check can cause duplicate content issues.

I know the plugins seem to be quite similar, but this could be a major difference. I'm wondering how significant it is.

Thanks,

Mark

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I haven't looked at the "competition" for a while, may have to grab it and see :slight_smile:
    But I think it may be if you have multiple domains mapped to a single site (?), but then i could be wrong - i'll grab it and see what's going on behind the scenes.

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

Not exactly sure what you mean. Let's say that the site is:

subdomain.wpmudomain.com

And the user wants to map:

domain1.com
    domain2.com
    domain3.com

...to that site.

With your plugin I'm not sure how to tell it which domain takes priority. And, if all of those domains are pointing to the same site on our network, isn't that a duplicate content problem, as Google will see the same content on multiple domains?

Not challenging anything, just trying to understand.

Thanks,

Mark

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.