Domain Mapping problem

I'm having problems with domain mapping.

When I add a domain to a blog and point it to my IP, the domain points at my main site. Not even my WPMU main site as it's in a dir on my server. It's pointing to my servers main page, which is the IP's main page.

Anyone had this problem or any idea how I can fix it?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

You have to let apache (or what ever webserver you are using) to send requests for the new domain to the MU installation. Unless you are on a server with a single IP address and a full wildcard set up.

E.G. I have all domains (unless specifically set) going to my MU install by using a * as the domain in the webserver config.

Do you have a control panel installed or are you going to be editing the files manually?

• Aaron
    • CTO

I have a single IP but I have several MU installs. So I will have to park domains in cpanel then, right? And point them to the right MU install folder.

That's right. You may be able to get a dedicated IP from your host for each MU install though. With that you should be able to have multiple wildcards on the same server.

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Hi Qlof,

Can I also point out the text at the side here:

"If this is a support question, please make sure you have searched the forums, checked out the WordPress MU Manual, and have read all the installation instructions for the plugin you are asking about.

Then, if you're still stuck let us know how we can help you - but please remember to be as specific as you can"

With respect, please be careful how you ask for assistance and help - you get a great deal of it through these forums and we don't mind that... but there are ways of approaching it that will be successful for you, and ways which won't.

I'd appreciate if you took that on board in future postings.

Cheers, James

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.