Domain mapping - reselling domains?

I am using Supporter for a website and have Domain Mapper setup for my Pro account. My question, however, is when the person decides they want TheirOwnDomain.com I would like to be able to sell them a domain. Now I know that would require a domain reseller account with someone but my question is does this plugin work better with one particular one? OR, alternatively, are there some better resellers out there than others? Thanks!

• Aphrodite

Hiya !

Well that depends on :

- what is your server admin pannel (for simple config...)

No resseller is better thatn another technically : you will have a domain and its config. I use bookmyname.com since they have a complete api and the price is 5 euros/domain but resseller programm only works in france.

Your custumer must anyway by his domain, THEN you must (possibly automatically) config this domain to work on your install THEN the custumer must enter this domain in domain mapping config in his WP admin.

Quite heavy huh ? But no really way out of this. Onece the domain is set up with the good DNS servers it can be set up on your wp install.

I use Cpannel, its quite simple (just the "park a domain" process) and then just enter the domain into domain mapping....

• Aphrodite

no : YOU must configure YOUR server to... serve the domain. You must enter the "in A " record in your DNS zone in order to "link" it to your server....

That is the "automaticable" thing you can do (not sure about that word but it will do it huh ^^), quite easilly under Cpanel, certainly on other server control panels.

This is not WP or Domain mapping dependant, it is just how DNS works :slight_smile:

• drmike

no : YOU must configure YOUR server to... serve the domain. You must enter the "in A " record in your DNS zone in order to "link" it to your server....

It's suggested that for your wpmu install, you get a dedicated IP address assigned to it. That way you're endusers create the 'a' record on their end and point it at the install. That way you don;t have to do anything on your end.

If you share the ip address, you have to create the a record on your end to get the server to recognize where the domain is supposed to be going.

The domain mapping plugin doesn;t have the ability to sell the domain. With each and every hosting platform out there and with how they all handle all the different OSes, there's no real way to write one batch of software that can handle them all. A developer could write up a CPanel script that will work on a CentOS box but that won;t work on a CPanel box that run FreeBSD.

• greenplanetfilms

As mentioned by others, the plugin simply allows your multisite installation to handle and map domains pointed toward the users' blogs. The beauty is that it will work with any domain from any registrar, as long as the domain owner has the ability to create the A record pointing to your IP.

If you'd like to sell domains, there are a number of options. You could simply link to an external domain registrar with whom you have a reseller account. Your customers would register the domain and point them to their blog. Or you could integrate it into the WP Dashboard, for example handling the ordering through WHMCS (which does quite well with domain ordering and management...we've had great luck with NetEarthOne and eNom). You could even integrate the ordering process using a thickbox or a WHMCS theme that matches the dashboard.

Hope this helps...

• Aphrodite

It's suggested that for your wpmu install, you get a dedicated IP address assigned to it. That way you're endusers create the 'a' record on their end and point it at the install. That way you don;t have to do anything on your end.

Well under Cpannel no. you MUST "park" the domain on top on the main domain in order to domain mapping works. there are cpanel scripts that can automate that (have a lokk at jason Api in the doc)

Well the thread is not about Cpanel, but since i use it i find it very accurate for a good use of WP, with dedicated ip of course.

• greenplanetfilms

Aphrodite, are you sure that it's necessary to park the domain in cPanel? In our testing we are able to have domain mapping work simply by doing these things:

- Add an A record in the domain's zone pointing to the IP of the multisite installation; and
    - Add the domain in the mapping plugin.

All seems to work well without actually parking the domain in cPanel. However, we are testing with domains that we own, which use our nameservers (which happen to be in the same cPanel/WHM installation)...but I don't know if that would matter.

Of course we'd prefer not having to do the parking step, so users could self-serve their own domain mapping.

I'm not disputing your statement, just asking for clarification in case I'm missing a gotcha that might come back to bite us.

Thanks,

Mark

• RodeoRamsey

integrate it into the WP Dashboard

This option is ideal. I'm looking into getting a reseller account with eNom ... how would one go about doing this in the WP Dashboard without requiring WHMCS?

GreenPlanetFilms - have you integrated this into a system?

My major problem with most of these reseller places (especially Godaddy) is that they try and upsell so many things at the checkout that it's very confusing to the end user. If they're going to pay me for a website, they might end up paying someone else for hosting and I don't want them to deal with that.