Domain Mapping Response Time is Slow

Hi

I did a website speed test and the results show that the response time when using domain mapping plugin is very slow. There is a long wait time before requests are handled and returned which is hindering the overall site performance. Once the requests is returned the site loads quickly.

Note: I have an other software (non WP) which is on the same server (dedicated) environment and the response time is much quicker in the 3s mark.

Also I have a single WP install without domain mapping plugin on a smaller server and the response time is also quicker.

Please see image.

How can this be improved?

• Paul Kevin

Hello northgate ,

I hope you are well today and thank you for confirming. Domain Mapping has a number of filters that are used to map the correct resources to their respective domains. The process of ensuring that the correct URL's are set when accessing domains could be what is causing the speed issues. For example we use the filter the_content to verify that post content accessed for a mapped domain has the correct URL path and schema when accessed.
      There is no real solution to fix this as it will affect page load time as the plugin functions are mainly dependent on these features. Hope this helps.

Warm Regards
      Paul Kevin

• Umesh

Hello,

Northgate I am having the same problem for over a month. I also need a solution. Are you also getting a run around from WPMUDEV Support?

FAO: Paul Kevin > What are you talking about? The problem affects many users and 100's of my websites. the issue was not their a few weeks ago. You wrote a bunch of blaaa then you finish with "There is no real solution to fix - Hope this helps" WTF !!! Either you help resolve the problem or you escalate it as bug for fixing with HIGH Priority.

wpmudev SUPPORT - Pull your finger out and progress the issue.

• James Morris

Hello Umesh,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues. However, in order to help you better without causing undue interruption to the help that is being offered to northgate, it would be best to contact Support through Live Chat so we can address the unique needs of your particular situation.

northgate,

There are a wide range of things that can increase the load time on a multisite network, but yes having Domain Mapping can have an impact as well. Though, my tests indicate Domain Mapping's impact is negligible and can be relieved with setting changes.

The following test is performed on the following environment.

1&1 Shared Hosting platform (not known for being particularly fast!)
    PHP 5.6.30 (Not very fast either)
    memory_limit = 256M
    WordPress 4.8
    Domain Mapping 4.4.2.5

No other plugins
    Default Theme
    Default Content
    2 Mapped Domains

All tests performed using Pingdom Tools using the Dallas, TX, USA datacenter

Test 1:
    * Cross-domain autologin enabled
    * Verify domain's DNS settings enabled
    * Check domain propagation before mapping enabled

Test 2:
    * Cross-domain autologin disabled
    * Verify domain's DNS settings disabled
    * Check domain propagation before mapping disabled

Test 3:
    * Domain Mapping entirely disabled

As you can see, yes Domain Mapping does ad some time to the request handling. This is due to the nature of the plugin interpreting the request and directing it to the appropriate subsite and performing all the background mapping required. Having options like SSO, Verify DNS and DNS propagation check will, of course, add to this because of the nature of those functions. But disabling those does improve performance.

So, unless you have a need for those features, it would be best to disable them and see if this resolves your problem. On a larger network, this could save a good bit of time in the request handling.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris