Domain Mapping says my url isn't propagated or my DNS settings are wrong.

The latest beta version of Domain Mapping is telling me my url isn't propagated or my DNS settings need to be checked. They're right. In fact I installed https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping instead and it works fine. Obviously, I rather use the Domain Mapping plugin as it ties into Prosites.. Any clues as to why I'm having this issue..?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Thor,

Hope you are doing well! So you downloaded the latest version of our domain mapping plugin and it didn't work for you? But the WordPress MU Domain Mapping does?

Perhaps in the time you switched over to the other plugin, your domain propagated. Have you tried switching back to see if it works now?

Which site are you using it and what method of mapping did you use? A record?

Let me know and I'll be able to help you further :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• thorstone137
    • Flash Drive

Hey Tyler,

I'm hosted at pagodabox. The domain I'm using was setup on it's own install before I switched it over to test domain mapping on the multi-site install. Pagodabox uses the same IP across almost all instances.

That said, the domain name has been propagated to the correct IP for sometime via A Record. When I was being told the IP might not be propagated correctly, I immediately knew something was wrong.

The main site is prairiemark.com and I'm using sub-directories rather than sub-domains because the sub-directories are easier for me to manage locally with WAMP.

I've set up domain mapping sever times in the past using both Sub-Domains and Sub-Directories on pagodabox using the WPMU Dev Domain-mapping plugin, so this bug was both a surprise and something I haven't encountered before.

Best Regards,

Dustin

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Dustin,

Do you have a dedicated IP? You need a dedicated IP for the A records to work properly. I checked the IP address your site is at and it doesn't point towards your WordPress installation.

Here is an excerpt from the usage guide that applies here:

Note: The IP address must have it’s DocumentRoot set so that when you load it in your browser you will see your WordPress install. In most cases this should be /public_html/ but it can vary, your host will be able to assist easily. This ensures that any mapped domains will be sent through to your WordPress install.

So, if you do have a dedicated IP then you can contact your host or sys admin and they'll be able to get it working for you easily :slight_smile:

If you don't have a dedicated IP then you need to use the parked domain or Add-on domain method of mapping.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• thorstone137
    • Flash Drive

When your instance is first created your given a generic domain like "your-appname.gopagoda.com".

Pagodabox domain management works by the admin adding a URL and then it gives you the IP address that it should be pointed to.

prairiemark.com is pointed to 50.97.147.37

Beyond that I'm not sure what you mean by "dedicated IP".

Note: I'm not running any domain mapping at the moment.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Dustin,

Hope you are well today!

A dedicated IP just means that your website is the only site located at that IP address. Shared IP (majority of websites) is what your site is on in your standard shared hosting package. I did a reverse look-up on your IP and looks like there is a lot of websites located at it meaning that it isn't dedicated.

No worries here though, because you can still do the add-on or parked domain method and shouldn't have any issues :slight_smile:

You can read more info on those methods near the bottom of the usage page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

Pretty much you just need to add or park a domain and point it towards the root of your multisite installation. More than likely this will be /public_html/

Let us know if you have any further questions! Happy to help.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.