Domain Mapping Set Up

I am setting up a network site and will be using the Domain Mapping tool to allow people to use their own domain.
What I plan to do is post instructions on my site to show people how to set this up and offer it as an alternative premium service if they do not want to.
I have looked through the docs for this but that appears to be aimed at the host, not at a site user.
Is there any docs I can use to post step by step instructions suitable for a site user?
Thank you
David

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello David H

I am afraid there is no instruction for user end. Actually, the user just needs to add his domain in Dashboard > Tools > Domain Mapping section.

If you use a dedicated IP, then the user needs to add A record in his domain panel and points to your IP.

How do you want to set it up? Using nameserver or dedicated IP?

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello David H,

I hope you are well today.

A Dedicated IP and a Static IP are effectively the same thing. They do not change. So, using the A Record method will work just fine in your situation.

The Nameserver approach adds a bit more overhead on your end as you will need to add each client's domain as an add-on domain in your hosting control panel and point that new domain to the web root of your multisite install.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

Thank you. That is good news.
    What I am not getting or understanding very well is if the end user can achieve this mapping set up without any admin assistance - are they able to do this themselves.
    In any case I am not sure what I should be telling them to do.
    Regards
    David

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

Sorry; to add to the above.
    I have seen the answer 'the user just needs to add his domain in Dashboard > Tools > Domain Mapping section.'
    But what I mean is where does the user get the instruction what they need to change the A record to?
    Can that be done with no admin intervention?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello David H

As James already mentioned, static and dedicated IP are same thing :slight_smile:

But one important thing you need to remember, the IP should point to your network site. That means, if you enter the IP in the browser and hit enter, the main site should load. Note that, this is not a redirect but pointing to that site. Your host should be able to do that for you.

Now, you will give the IP to your members. When they will buy a domain, they will get a domain panel to point his domain. There they will need to create a A record to point his newly bought domain to your IP. And then when he will add the domain in his subsite admin > Tools > Domain Mapping it will start working :slight_smile:

You will find more information in the product page usage tab: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

I have made some more enquiries on this and have found out that the IP will not load a site. I know this is not ideal but it is a shared server and the issue is that other sites sharing the server also use the same IP. My plan was to move the site to a more suitable server once it was established to save on costs. But the IP route is a dead loss.
    It seems that the nameserver approach is my only option which is a pain in the butt by the sounds of it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.