Domain Mapping Setup Questions

HI Guys,

Just need a few general questions answered in regards to domain mapping plugin i've just installed.

Background: the multisite blog is hosted on myblog.example.com. I need to map mydomain.com to myblog.example.com.

1. Under Cpanel -> Advanced DNS editor, would i have to change:

ALL A entries to example.com IP address
ALL CNAME entries to blog.example.com

is that correct?

2. If mydomain.com and example.com are on different servers, would I have to move the mydomain nameservers to point to example.com?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Luís

Hi @SqueakyOx,

I hope had been good today!

If you want to map mydomain.com to myblog.example.com, you need to start to:

1) Create A record pointing mydomain.com to the IP address of example.com (the main website of your network).

2) mydomain.com should have the same nameservers of example.com.

Before start mapping in the Domain Mapping settings, you should be able to put mydomain.com in your browser address bar and open example.com (the main website of your network).

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• SqueakyOx

HI Luis,

Thanks for the help.

So I pointed the nameserver of mydomain.com to example.com. The DNS records (A record) is pointed to the correct IP. However, i've installed my multisite on html_public/example/ on my server. ie. example.com resolves to public_html/example folder.

So while mydomain.com is resolving, it resolves to the parent site and not the /example. What should i do now?

p/s: i've parked mydomain.com on cpanel

Cheers,

• SqueakyOx

Hi Luis,

Sorry for double posting, but i've resolved the issue on my own.

For those interested my fix (for non standard WPMS subfolder install) was:

1. Point nameserver of mydomain.com to IP address of blog.example.com
    2. In Cpanel, "add on" domain. Put the root folder = "public_html/example"
    3. Make sure to resolve the domain
    4. Go to plugin and activate.

That's it!

Thank Luis for the hints!

• SqueakyOx

Last question,

When i was reading the FAQ earlier, it said something along the lines of:

After adding a domain I can not add a second domain. Is this correct?
    If you haven’t added anything to your wp-config.php then it’s limited to a single domain per site. If you add the following somewhere in it then you will be able to use multiple domains per site.

define('DOMAINMAPPING_ALLOWMULTI', true);

Do I need this if i'm only connecting unique domains to unique blogs? Eg. Domain1.com to blog1.example.com & Domain2.com to blog2.example.com

Thanks!

• Luís

Hi @SqueakyOx,

I hope had been good today!

Actually, from what I know, that setting is no longer necessary in Domain Mapping plugin.

However, it was used to map multiple domains per site:

I.E.

Domain1.com to blog1.example.com
    Domain1.org to blog1.example.com
    Domain1.net to blog1.example.com

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• SqueakyOx

Hi Luis,

Can you do domain mapping without changing the nameservers? I want to preserve the mail portion.

So basically

ServerA (where DNS & Mail is) - Nameserver is pointed to ServerA ns.serverA.com
    mydomain.com A ServerB_IPaddress
    mail.mydomain.com A ServerA_IPaddress

Server B (where WPMS is)

However, when i try this, cpanel would not let me 'add on' the domain in Server B.

Should i point the nameserver to Server B then re-point all the mail & MX records to Server A?

Cheers,

• Vaughan

Hi Squeaky,

If you change the nameservers, then it will require changing the MX records to point at Server A

Alternatively, you don't actually need to change nameservers, you could instead change the A records of the domain.com to point at the IP of the new server instead.

Be aware though, if you're just doing it by using A records, you will need a static IP address on your new site, and it's IP address must point at the sites documentRoot.

Changing nameservers means you can add it as an addon domain to your new account and take it from there. But then you'd need to change the MX to point at the old host.

Hope this helps

• SqueakyOx

Hey Luis & Vaughan,

Thanks for the help. Yeah i have a couple of way to make this work. But I guess just for completeness sake for any other users who are reading -

if you are using shared hosting - there are limitations to pointing just the A record into the website:
    1. you need a fixed IP address (sometime shared hosting doesn't have one)
    2. you cannot add the domain (without pointing the entire nameserver) on cpanel. 2 things need to happen - the webhost has to specifically add the external IP address to the server list & they have the manually link the account in cpanel for you.

So i think i'll call it a day on this issue.

Thanks staff for all the help!

Cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.