Domain Mapping & SSL

Hey guys,

Question about your domain mapping plugin. I saw that there is an option for forced SSL but then it said it is specifically for the original domain?

I want to be sure I follow. So this function would only work for the original subdomain and not the mapped domain as well? Or does it work for both and is there a different section that addresses this in the settings?

Thanks1

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jeff,

That particular option will work only for orginal subsite domain - its not going to force SSL on mapped domain.
    You can force SSL in mapping options for subsite. First you can map domain with https schema - or you can for example force ssl only on some pages

that is screen from Subsite Dashboard -> Tools -> Domain mapping

Let me know if you have more questions.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Jeff

Hi Kasia I wanted to check back in on this ticket since your most recent updates. We are definitely moving over to SSL due to Chrome's recent changes.

Can the plugin now ensure that https:// is added to all mapped domains too (NOTE: we're using wildcard SSL and ideally we could use your plugin to ensure mapped domains are also covered/secured)...or is it still only possible with subdomains?

Thanks!

• Rupok

Hi Jeff,

Domain mapping plugin will force your mapped domain to be loaded over HTTPS if you map that domain with HTTPS protocol. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

Please keep in mind, Wildcard SSL certificate works for a single domain with all subdomains of that domain. For example, if you purchase Wildcard SSL certificate for "example.com", then this SSL certificate will work for "sub.example.com", "sub1.example.com", "sub2.example.com" and all other subdomains for "example.com". But if you map "custom.com" to "sub1.example.com", then you will need to purchase SSL certificate for "custom.com" if you want to load "custom.com" under SSL as "custom.com" is a different domain. As SSL certificates are domain specific, so no plugin including Domain Mapping can use SSL certificate purchased for "example.com" on "custom.com". Domain Mapping can just force the mapped domain to be loaded under SSL.

If you map "custom.com" with HTTPS protocol in Domain Mapping, it will call all your pages of "custom.com" with HTTPS but your browser will show warning if you don't have purchased and configured SSL certificate for "custom.com" too.

I believe these will help. Please let us know if you still have any confusion or any further query. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.