Domain Mapping - subdirectory

Hi,
Does Domain Mapping work on the subdirectory domain?
thanks
Lillian

• argh2xxx
    • The Incredible Code Injector

tbreak, can you tell me what version of wpmu that you are using? Are you also using multidb?

Because last time I try domain mapping with an a previous version wpmu and previous version of multi-db, and with wpmu in a directory install -- it did not work. Fear of trying it again, although now I'm using the latest version of wpmu and latest version of multi-db.

• argh2xxx

OK, I try this, and after adding domain mapping plugin, and then create a test domain's A record pointing to my server IP, and then I went into a test blog, added a custom domain such as example.com (using a real domain of course).

What I got was this instead of creating custom domain such as example.com/wpmu/myblog, domain mapping create example.com/wpmu/.

As you can see, that only points to a root directory of wpmu installation (directory install method, and is not a sub-domain method). Which pretty much renders a 404 error.

Help? Thanks in advance...

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

Is your WPMU site installed in the /wpmu/ directory? If so then I'm afraid that path will always be in the url even for mapped domains. This is why we always recommend installing WPMU in the site root or on a subdomain and not in a directory.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• argh2xxx

Yes, OK, I was haste to post that this is not working, but it's working for subdirectory just fine. Except that Andrew is correct that the domain path always add an addition directory of wpmu to the custom domain. I'm OK with this though!

If you don't know what I mean, and this is a note for whoever is doing the same thing as I. What I mean is that if you install your wpmu (not in /) but in a subdirectory of / which is like example.com/myinstall/, then your wpmu installation and domain mapping feature -- the combination will create a custom domain of mycustomdomain.com/myinstall/ -- but this test custom domain will always point to the right user's blog address. For original blog address would have looked like example.com/myinstall/myblog/, but through domain mapping, the user's blog now looks like mycustomdomain.com/myinstall/. What I don't like is the myinstall is automatically add to custom domain, but it's a trade off for installing wpmu not in a root directory or in a subdomain.

I know it's confusing, but whoever needs to read this post for your own fix, I hope it's clear and helpful to you!

• elramsay
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Is your WPMU site installed in the /wpmu/ directory? If so then I'm afraid that path will always be in the url even for mapped domains. This is why we always recommend installing WPMU in the site root or on a subdomain and not in a directory.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Oh phooey. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. No way around that? My WPmulti has to be in a subdirectory because we've got different platforms located on our server and opted for subdirectories rather than subdomains...

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Not without you getting boot from any decent host. You;re doing redirects on top of redirects and that adds server load. On the old mu forums, we unofficially decided not to explain how to do this as it had previously caused issues with site admins who did the fix and then screamed at us after they got booted by their host. Even with the fix, there's a lot of plugins that assume that the install is within root.

Mu really needs to be in root, even if you have to get another domain, like the *.net for a *.com.

• elramsay
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Moved it this weekend. Ooof. That subdirectory was hard-linked all over the database. ;-P

If anyone else needs to do this. You'll need to run a universal change in the database to remove your sub-directory from your user lists, etc. You also need to update your config file and your htaccess file.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.