Domain Mapping – User Instructions

It would be great if this plugin provided for the option to display users with some instructions.

For example, at the moment, the only option is to enter an IP address which results in the user being shown instructions for setting up their domain with an A RECORD. I don’t want to do that. I want to encourage users to setup a CNAME RECORD or better still purchase or transfer a domain with me and allow me to set it up for them.

The ability to add some more instructions and provide links to more resources would make this plugin so much better. And save on support requests :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings stephenb,

Thanks for bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available – but we would love to put it into consideration for future development.

Therefore I have moved this to the applicable feature requests section and I have alerted the lead developer to bring his attention on the request.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I don’t want to do that. I want to encourage users to setup a CNAME RECORD or better still purchase or transfer a domain with me and allow me to set it up for them.

They shouldn’t be setting up a CNAME record if they are setting up a top level domain to map though – no? I was pretty sure there were restrictions on the use of A records and CNAME records.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The ability to add some more instructions and provide links to more resources would make this plugin so much better. And save on support requests :slight_smile:

There isn’t an option to change the text via the plugin at the moment, but if you use something like poedit, you can change the text strings in the language file to anything you want, or install something like our Site wide text change plugin (or ultimate branding with its network wide text change module) and you can change the text using either of those.

• stephenb
    • Flash Drive

They shouldn’t be setting up a CNAME record if they are setting up a top level domain to map though – no? I was pretty sure there were restrictions on the use of A records and CNAME records.

I want users to have the ability to setup http://www.theirdomain.com. A CNAME is fine for that. If they want theirdomain.com to work, then they need to allow me to manage it for them. I need to allow for the fact that the IP might change in the future. If I have dozens of users pointing A RECORDs that becomes something of a nightmare!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I want users to have the ability to setup http://www.theirdomain.com. A CNAME is fine for that. If they want theirdomain.com to work, then they need to allow me to manage it for them.

The problem you are going to have is WP multi-site will strip the www. part out and redirect to the non-www domain as soon as it hits it – so you will need to map the non-www domain and not the www. one, which means you’ll need to use A records for first level domains, not CNAMES

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings stephenb,

Thank you for your additional input.

Yes indeed though I do not know what you have in mind, as indicated in the WordPress codex this is a WordPress MultiSite core function to strip the http://www.from the domain because in fact www is really to WordPress MultiSite just another sub domain indicator and normally resolves it to the TLD (Top Level Domain).

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.