Domain Mapping - Usine Cname to map to top-level domain

Hi, I have a multi-site subdomain install of wordpress installed at ampiq.com.

I'm trying to set up the domain mapping plugin so that subdomains/subsites of the ampiq.com wordpress install can map their own domain name to their subdomain. For instance, mapping wpsavings.com so that it links to luigispizza.ampiq.com.

I've installed the domain mapping plugin, done all the install with the sunrise.php and all and then edited the domain mapping entry to point luigispizza.ampiq.com to wpsavings.com via the domain mapping settings pages and then tried to add a cname record in the CPanel for wpsavings.com mapping http://www.wpsavings.com to luigispizza.ampiq.com

This does not work and typing http://www.wpsavings.com into a web browser seems like its still pointing to the old hosting that we were using for the web address. We were told by support staff that using a cname will not work and that we would need to use an "A" record which requires a dedicated IP address.

Ampiq.com is not on a dedicated IP address and therefore we have a few questions:
1. Is this a limitation of the domain mapping plugin only? I believe there are other multisite installs of wordpress using cname records to map top-level domains to subdomain sites in wordpress.
2. Is there a way to get things working without a dedicated IP address?
3. Is there a way to use a cname record to map to a top-level domain either with a dedicated IP Address or not?

Thanks so much for your assistance

• aecnu

Greetings acescramble,

Thank you for the great questions and the answers are as follows:

1. Is this a limitation of the domain mapping plugin only? I believe there are other multisite installs of wordpress using cname records to map top-level domains to subdomain sites in wordpress.

Is this a limitation of the domain mapping plugin only? not relative to domain mapping but relative to "A" records. Being the owner and director of a hosting company I will let you in on a little secret - just park the domain in the control panel of the main domain with the destination /public_html/ in most cases and it should work like a charm.

2. Is there a way to get things working without a dedicated IP address?

Answered above and no you cannot get this working without a dedicated IP using "A" records - but you can doing it the way I suggested above.

3. Is there a way to use a cname record to map to a top-level domain either with a dedicated IP Address or not?

Yes - but a cname record will be something like http://www.domainname.com and NOT domainname.com

Park the domain as I recommended above and the entire thing should work with your current installation.

"A" record = dedicated IP

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• acescramble

Thanks Joe! We tried putting the wpsavings.com address as a parked domain and now it goes to the main domain of the hosting account (wpthemeshops.com). This doesn't completely solve our problem though since ampiq.com is an add-on domain to the main hosting account which has a root domain of wpthemeshops.com. Is there a way to get wpsavings.com to go to ampiq.com?

I should note that I dont see a way to edit the parked domain linking to the main public_html folder to specify a subdirectory or something like that.

Thanks again!

• Pooja

Dear aecnu, I followed the instructions as suggested in respect of parked domains. I parked domains in the cpanel of wordpress multisite installation. When I add the parked domains in the settings page of domain mapping plugin, health status of the domains shows invalid. Kindly enlighten as to where the problem exists.
    Since it is too long to get reply on my original ticket, I am writing here.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.