Domain Mapping what???

I am confused on Domain Mapping. I am following this tutorial https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

It says to download a plugin to your computer but doesn't say what plugin. Is it WordPress MU Domain Mapping???
I did try using that plugin in the past with no luck. I am getting this error: "Please edit your /home4/bebower/profitwebmanagementsolutions.com/wp-config.php and move the line define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' ); above the last require_once() in that file or make sure you updated sunrise.php."

I have done all that but still get the error.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Arlene,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The page that you linked to is the usage guide for Domain Mapping plugin. The "download plugin to your computer" statement means downloading the Domain Mapping plugin.

During the Trial subscription you're not able to download plugins though. However, you can install Domain Mapping by going to the "Network Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Plugins" page of your site and typing in "Domain Mapping" in a search box there. Then just click "Install" and proceed with the procedure described on a page that you linked to.

If you have any further questions, let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Arlene!

I have accessed your site as you granted access and I see that Domain Mapping plugin is not active. First thing you'd need to do would be to go to "Network Admin -> Plugins" page and enable Domain Mapping plugin.

Your site is a "sub-domain based" Multisite. I assume that while there's currently

test.yoursite.com

sub-site, you would want to make this sub-site use some other domain. Let's call that domain "testdomain.com". As a result typing "testdomain.com" in a browser should seamlessly load the site that's currently available under "test.yoursite.com", is that right?

To achieve that, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that "testdomain.com" (your "to be mapped" domain) is added to your server as an add-on domain

2. in your cPanel go to your "yoursite.com" (your "main" domain) settings and check what folder (path) is set for "root folder" (that can also be called "document root"; it's the same, just different name) for that domain; note it down

3. in your cPanel go to your "testdomain.com" (your "to be mapped" domain) settings and set the "root folder" to the folder/path that you have just noted down in step 2 above

Here's more information on how to check/change "root folder" settings:

https://www.servint.net/university/article/the-tech-bench-changing-a-document-root-in-cpanel/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7OYIOwyWvU

When you set the root folder, visit the "testdomain.com" (the "to be mapped" domain) in your browser and you should see that it loads the main site of your Multisite;

4. Go back to your site's back-end and go to sub-site's dashboard;
    5. Go to "Tools -> Domain Mapping" page there
    6. Put the "testdomain.com" (name of the "to be mapped" domain) in a form and click "Map domain" button:

That's pretty much all. From this moment domain should be mapped to the sub-site and the sub-site should be available via this domain.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.