Domain Mapping with CNAMES showing Apache Cpanel Screen

I'm at my wits end--- I've used Domain Mapping on several multi site installs and it's worked fine- I'm sure I'm missing something but I just cant figure it out.

I have the following configuration

Multisite installed to use subdomains
an *.domain.com wildcard pointing at the IP

all subsite.domain.com sites ARE WORKING-

Domain Mapping is installed.

I set up a CNAME for sub.godaddydomain.com pointing to site.domain.com

This works on other installs but not here--- when i type in sub.godaddydomain.com i get the Apache configuration screen from my host instead of the site.domain.com that I am expecting.

I've stored sub.godaddydomain.com in the domain mapping field on the sites settings- and i have no clue why this is not working.

Any ideas?

• aecnu

Greetings arrangingpixels,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

I set up a CNAME for sub.godaddydomain.com pointing to site.domain.com

Where did you set the cname, at Go Daddy or in your hosting cpanel?

If it is on your hosting server I suspect that DNS is sending your domain into a loop because it cannot resolve site.domain.com, you may want to try from Go Daddy DNS to send it to the server.

The Domain Mapping plugin was never designed to map sub domains to sub domains. It was primarily designed to map TLD's (Top Level Domains i.e. domain.net, domain.com, etc.) to sub domains.

I recommend to first erase the cname from your server and then set the cname at Go Daddy. It will take 6 or more hours to propagate so do not think it does not work instantly - this should be a viable solution to get this handled.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.