I'm using (well testing/translating plugins now) WP Multisite, Buddypress, bbpress, Pro Sites, MultiDomain, Domain Mapping, ..., ALL with latest versions
I read it's highly recommanded to have a dedicated IP for WP Multisite with Domain Mapping for the following reasons :
- let WPMS handle the domain resolving to the correct sites
- let users to enter my IP in their domain registration panel
- in case the IP changes
- etc I read a lot of how-to those last days (Otto, Sarah, etc) :grinning:
==>>> for different reasons I cannot/do not want to have this working like that :
- first I have my own ("root") server coming with 1 IP, this IP won't change (unless I change server)
- I ordered a 2nd IP for another script (http://www.phpbbhs.com) which also need dedicated IP
- I cannot have more than 4 IP with my server there. this is in the feature list of the datacenter, and they said to me in email when I ordered a second IP and had to deeply insist : "Allocation of IP addresses is in accordance with RIPE guidelines. There is a shortage of IPv4 addresses, so we are under strict rules from RIPE for handing out additional IPs, and we need a valid technical reason for each IP. Please explain, what is a technical reason why you can't use your main IP? We need this information for RIPE"
- I also have other customers, with full hosting service including email, all managed by froxlor panel (instead of CPanel) and DNS by bind9, all working well with live sites (non WP)
- I want to be able to install several WPMS, one with buddypress for a community projet, at least one without buddypress, one multilanguage, etc.. some to serve my customers which have account with me (full ftp/email services, etc), I can't have one IP for each.
- I rather take control of the domain things and AName, and have my customers only enter my nameservers at their domain registrars, and on my server I send them either to one of the WP install, or to the phpBBHS install, or to their normal hosted account, I also want to be able to have a domain that goes to the WPMS BP site, and their email to be served by my standard account service
especially this will be a custom service, and I would like manual control, not automated
- I would like to avoid the customers to enter my IP and CName, and I prefer them to enter nameservers, even in the case the IP change (this could be the case if I order a new server), much easier to change on my side, rather than ask all the customer to update their CName, and also, lot of my customers are in Switzerland (my country) and nic.ch (aka Switch) for .ch domains only allow to enter nameservers, and I think we cannot manage our DNS there, so customers anyway cannot enter the server IP, only nameservers, and for most, would be to complex to have a http://xname.org/ or http://www.zoneedit.com/ account.
Ideally, I would also like to hide the domain mapping from the user dashboard, and handle all that via support email
====>> so basically, I would like this post to be the guideline to have Domain Mapping working with a shared IP, knowing that for me, the IP is shared only among my own customers, on my own server, if anyone has ideas/hints/questions/same concern/solutions : that will be great
fruthermore, I still have an installation issue with Domain Mapping (DB tables not created, thus domains not saved), it's there :
thanks in advance for everything :slight_smile: