Domain Mapping: with SSL

Hi everybody,

Just read through some of the discussions I found about the combination of Pro-Sites, Domain Mapping and SSL. Some of the points are not entirely clear to me, so I hope it is ok if I open up another thread.

In the following thread quite a few information is mentioned but I am not sure what is possible and what not: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multi-site-domain-mapping-and-ssl

1) Multisite (Subdomain) Setup, Prosites and Domain Mapping > each site should have the option to have a store and therefore would also need SSL on certain pages like the checkout page. The solution I read about as well is to unmap certain pages so that all sites would for example use the same checkout page, would not work in my setup.

> from what I read this seems possible with a multi-site SSL (my host provider does not allow wildcard SSL)
> but someone also mentions in the post above: "From my experience you can't map a domain to another one that has a ssl on it. It warns the user that this may be a phishing scam ect.."

So what would you say?
Is it
A) a hassle to setup, not cheap but doable (does it require changes to the mapping plugin?) or
B) not doable at all because it is not possible to map to a domain with SSL on it?

Best wishes, Nic

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Nic

Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team. Thank you for being a member of our community and for posting to the forum.

I would suggest you keep it simple. First of all, think very carefully about the type of setup you would like to have for your site. SSL can only work on one domain and it would be good to have that on your main site where you would also have the Pro Sites. It really all depends on what you're trying to set up. I would also not recommend mapping a domain to another one with SSL.

So, in conclusion, let me know a bit more about what you would like to set up and I can assist you better and provide more accurate advice.

Look forward to your feedback.

Have a good day!

Gina

• LittleWestSide
    • New Recruit

Hi Gina,
    Thanks for your reply!

I would like to have several ecommerce sites combined in a multisite setup.
    Since the sites are not related, they would need their own domains and SSL for some specific sites like the checkout site etc.

Best wishes, Nic

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nic,

It is my opinion that this cannot be done quite as you envision due to the last I can only assign one SSL certificate per domain per IP unless your host is configured using SNI (see below) and the visiting browser also must be compatible too.

Now this can be done for the main domain using a wildcard SSL certificate which would cover all the sub domains of a MutliSite install.

I have heard that it is also possible but extremely expensive to get a server SSL Certificate, but each and every domain on it requires certification the same as a single domain.

Last but not least, there is a way to have each domain have its own certificate, this if the host is set up just right using SNI and the browser visiting the site is also compatible with SNI. Here is some info on the topic: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/configure-apache-to-support-multiple-ssl-sites-on-a-single-ip-address/987

I hope this clears any and all questions you may have regarding this subject. If not feel free to check mark this ticket as not resolved below and post your additional comments/concerns that have not previously been covered here or in the link I have referenced concerning this topic.

Cheers, Joe

• maxwebgear
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I am wrestling this issue myself. We have WPMU setup with subdomains and I have a few eCommerce sites that need to attach and SSL to as well. I feel a little lost on this issue.

I purchased a ucc ssl per the directives of my managed services and the wildcard record added, but it's not working. I am specifically dealing with WooCommerce and Paypal Pro.

Pretty frustrating so far. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

Posting on old threads can also lead to us missing your questions.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

It might be worth consulting with the host too, make sure the cert is set up correctly.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.