Domain mapping without creating Add-on Domains

Hi guys!

I am using Domain Mapping for my WordPress multisite, and I have strictly adhered to the instruction on both Wordpress official sites & Domain Mapping Usage. I encountered 1 problem, and 1 question, however. It'd be greatly appreciated if you could please advise me on this.

Problem: Now whenever a domain is pointed to my server, say clientdomain.com points to ns1.myserver.com and ns2.myserver.com, it won't allow me to setup straight from WordPress Domain Mapping of that domain (Tools > Domain Mapping). I have to manually add that domain (clientdomain.com) as an add-on domain to my account in order to get Mapping Domain works. Is there anyway to make this process automatic? I already had wildcard setup for subdomains & DNS Record.

Question: How am I able to create an email, say info@clientDomain.com from a WordPress site that is in my multisite network? I mean that my client create a website (using subdomain) at clientDomain.myserver.com, and they bought a domain clientDomain.com, then Map it (Domain Mapping plugin). Now how can I create info@clientDomain.com?

Thanks a lot for trying to help me out! I know my explanation is blurry, please let me know if any clarification is needed!

Thanks a lot WPMUDEV.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Huy,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question :slight_smile:

Problem: Now whenever a domain is pointed to my server, say clientdomain.com points to ns1.myserver.com and ns2.myserver.com, it won't allow me to setup straight from WordPress Domain Mapping of that domain (Tools > Domain Mapping). I have to manually add that domain (clientdomain.com) as an add-on domain to my account in order to get Mapping Domain works. Is there anyway to make this process automatic? I already had wildcard setup for subdomains & DNS Record.

If you have a dedicated IP use the A record method then all you need to do is point the domain to your IP from wherever the domain was purchased and it should work fine :slight_smile:

If you don't have a dedicated IP then you will need to do it the way you're doing it now and add it as a parked/add-on domain each time.

However, with parked domains, I believe you can create emails for them in cpanel :slight_smile: so this would solve your second issue.

If you do the A record method then you need to purchase separate email hosting for the domain - many domain registrars also sell email hosting, or you can use a service like Google Apps. These do cost money, but you can always add that onto the clients package if you like.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you still have any further questions here.

Cheers,
    Tyler

For more on A record domain mapping, visit the Domain Mapping section of the usage guide: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

• Tyler Postle

Hey Huy,

If on a dedicated IP then yes pointing straight to the IP with the A record is the easiest way to go. Only issue here is that if you're on a shared host then you likely won't have a dedicated IP and this method won't work. If you have a shared IP then the IP won't go straight to your specific install, which is what is needed for domain mapping to work.

I tried Parked domains and it will redirect to CGI-SYSTEM-ERROR. Any advise bro?

Hm, that could be due to the way your server parks domains. I would contact your host and ask them about that. It sounds like the domain mapping isn't finding the parked domain.

Hope this helps Huy - if you have any further questions just let us know!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.