Domain name is a keyword that does not appear as part of URL in SEO

I have numerous domain names that are either a keyword or a keyword phrase. I use WPMUDEVs domain mapping plugin in multisite so each domain name mapped to a multisite acts like an individual entity. My concern is that when I run a SEO app it says that my keyword for the main page (which is a page not a post) is not in the URL. For example if my site was Dog.com and my keyword for the landing page is dog, I would think the SEO app would indicate that my keyword is in my URL, but this is not the case. I assume that if my page was Dog.com/dog then the SEO app would say the keyword is in my URL. How can I get the keyword Dog in Dog.com to be recognized? Thank you and have a great day.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello afswpmu,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

While I understand the example that you included in your post, I'm not sure what do you mean by "SEO app". Can you please tell me what do you mean by it?

I'm asking because not knowing that I'm a bit confused what the real issue here is and why it may be happening.

Looking forward to your replay,
    Adam

• afswpmu
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

It first happened years ago using Yoast's plugin. Yesterday I used WP Checkup on my site called SeismicRental.com. It stated that the URL structure keywords: We could not detect any keywords in your URL. Having the right keywords in your URL can increase your search click-through rate.

While in my example I used a single word, I have had this problem over the years with single words or phrases. I am often told that my URL is missing the keyword(s).

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello afswpmu!

I think I can see now what the issue is. I'm not however sure how this detection works. While I cannot speak for other tools, I can check it regarding our WP Checkup. Therefore I have asked our developers to shed some light on this and I'll update this thread as soon as I get a replay.

Please keep track of this conversation and I'll let you know once I get a response.

Best regards,
    Adam

• afswpmu

Thank you. I am impressed. I have asked this question twice over the last four years, or so, at different forums. I did not receive any feedback. You are the first to confront the question. While WP Checkup was the most recent, another well know SEO plugin yielded the same recommendations (it said I should add the keyword(s) to the URL). Have a great day.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello afswpmu!

I don't know how about other forums but I think here you would got a replay, though since WP Checkup is a new tool we might have not been able to give you a solid response in the past because in case of some products/tools it's really difficult to say how other developers are handling particular features :slight_smile:

I would say though, that in this particular case I'm also personally interested how this works. While I haven't done any SEO since I work here, I got quite a strong SEO background and the subject is always "close to my heart" :slight_smile:

I would however appreciate some patience on this. Since I asked developers for help, that may take a bit longer for them to respond than it usually takes us to replay here on Support Forum. They are busy with a lot of complex tasks and we sometimes need to wait a bit to get information from them. Please keep an eye on this thread and I'll update it for you as soon as I get a replay.

Have a great day!
    Adam

• afswpmu

Adam, thank you for the update. You are right. I did not ask this question at WPMUDev. The response WP Checkup gave me about not having keyword(s) in my URL, rekindle my interest in trying to find out why this happens or happened (with other SEO software). I am in no hurry. Have a great day.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.