Domain name is unavailable to access

Hello,

We have configured Domain-Mapping plugin as instructed in installation doc and cname records are properly in place as dig output is clearly displaying CNAME and "A" mapping, but plugin is complaining that its unavailable to access. Can anyone look into this please?

Thanks

• Manish
    • Flash Drive
    $ dig newmap.dinerotesting.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> newmap.dinerotesting.com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 28867
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;newmap.dinerotesting.com.	IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    newmap.dinerotesting.com. 83088	IN	CNAME	vishnupeddawad.qbof.com.
    vishnupeddawad.qbof.com. 1394	IN	A	202.191.203.74

;; Query time: 0 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Dec 30 15:54:47 2013
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 92
  • Manish
    • Flash Drive

Hello Ari,

You mean I also need to make an entry for domain (newmap.dinerotesting.com) in my apache conf? Like ServerAlias or kind of? What I am guessing is apache is not getting where to forward the incoming request but I was thinking that plugin itself takes care of that. And in case entry is required then will the same applies with all the domains?

Thoughts

• Manish
    • Flash Drive

Domain-mapping is placed as an premium feature in my site through prosite plugin. How will I come to know if premier user wants to map his own domain with multisite and even it will be difficult to place manual entry in apache all the time as I may not be aware about the domain-name that users will be mapping.

Can you suggest the workaround or if there is a defined way to do so?

Thanks

• Manish
    • Flash Drive

I don't think this will be helping much as I don't see it convenient to put wildcard entries for all TLDs. I will be ending up with multiple entries in apache for TLDs like .com .org and there are many more. Also it may turn attack-prone. Is it really necessary to have apache entry for the domains as its not mentioned in domain-mapping plugins documentation?

Thanks

• aristath
    • Recruit

If not for all domains, then you could at least do it for all subdomains of your main domain...

Is it really necessary to have apache entry for the domains as its not mentioned in domain-mapping plugins documentation?

Having a wildcard entry in there is in no way a security risk... in fact many servers are set up like that by default!
    Before reaching the domain mapping plugin, users will first have to get to your WordPress installation. In order to reach the WordPress installation, your server will somehow have to point the users to that.
    So no matter what domain they enter, if the domain's DNS entries are set to your server, your WordPress should come up, and then domain mapping can take care of the rest.

To sum up, yes. It's necessary that there's a wildcard entry in your apache configuration. Otherwise users will never get to your site.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.