Domain not pointing to sub site

Hi, We are using the domain mapping plugin, We have installed & configured it as given instructions. Then created a sub site and mapped it with a domain also set the A record the of mapped domain pointing at the IP address of the main site, but the domain is not pointing to the sub site.
Please let us know what is issue Or we are missing something in configuration.

Thank You

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi there vwinners!

Are you getting an error when you try to visit your new top level domain?

How long ago have you tried this? Sometimes it takes a while for the mapping information to propagate the servers.

You will need to point the A record of the top level domain to the IP of the subsite.

My memory is fuzzy, but I think you may need to park the top level domain you are mapping to as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Kimberly

• vwinners
    • New Recruit

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your reply, It is still not working. When we are adding the domain, it gives us following error:
    Using nameservers with the following IPs: 208.109.255.42,216.69.185.42 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote NameServer.

As we have Multisite setup on this domain: http://strategicmailing.net (as subdirectory way) and we ant to add this domain on this setup 25legal.com .

For 25legal.com we have change the just A record to point Multisite server, but we can't change Nameserver.

So please provide us instruction for setting this.

Looking for your reply.

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

@vwinners your problem is not with the plug but with a setting in WHM :slight_smile:

Tweek Settings - Domains now looks for this statement and just allow it for the moment

Allow Remote Domains [?]
    Allow creation of parked/addon domains that resolve to other servers (e.g. domain transfers) This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure not to allow users to park common Internet domains.

I did a post a long time ago of how to set up domain mapping on cpanel/whm will look and post it for you :slight_smile:

• vwinners
    • New Recruit

Hi Mark/Kim,

I have one issue, for this domain: strategicmailing.org, its Nameserver is same as my strategicmailing.net (Main site have), Now please let me know how to configure it.

As I have done the Parked Domain entry for it and still it is not working?

Please update me.

• vwinners
    • New Recruit

Also one more thing I have that is there any way that we can cut the parked Domain adding part.

When I asked this to my hosting company the said me this:

you can google how to setup a wildcard and you have to have a dedicated IP
    so anything resolving to that IP has a virtual host wildcard

But i am not getting it.

• vwinners
    • New Recruit

Basically we want to setup a wildcard, so anything resolving to that IP has a virtual host wildcard

We are using liquidweb.com and they have WHM and Cpanel. But they have not answer for it..

Any luck , so we don't have to do a park domain setting each time.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings vwinners,

Thank you for your additional input, it is appreciated.

Parking the domain is simpler then making an "A" record and creates the applicable necessary records. It also has the advantage of being able to create email addresses for those with parked domains whereas an "A" record will not have this ability.

Regarding just using an "A" record and the need to not "Park" the domain is related to the name server delegation as shown by your successful cures above.

On a side note, it appears that you are not keeping up with the updates as your WordPress version is several versions behind and you Domain Mapping plugin is one version behind.

Please consider updating for your own benefit.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.