domain not updating automatically

I have installed the plugin and had my developer do the work necessary to move the sunrise file to the /wp-content/sunrise.php and set it to ON in the wp-config file (see below what is in the config file).

But, the domain did not update. He had to manually go in and set the new domain name as an alias for the sub domain of the site that was there as part of the multisite installation. I thought with the plugin, it would just work....but his thought was it can't be nandled easily since it requires changes made to the system configuration file which the web server process doesn't have the rights to modify. The plugin info implies the web server has a virtual host with a wildcard that handles requests from any domain that points to the server, and that is not the case...

So, just wondering if there is something else we should be doing or some what to set up the server to allow for this... When I created an A Record at Network Solutions yesterday, it pointed to our server pretty quickly but when I pointed to the real domain in the plugin, the only way it changed was with him doing the stuff on the back end.

It seems like it can be done because that is why you are marketing that you can just tie it to pro supporters....and then it is just automated. So, wondering what we need to do to make it automated without manual work each time we need to do this.
Thanks.

define('WP_DEBUG', false);
define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);
define( 'MULTISITE', true );
define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true );
$base = '/';
define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'openorchard.org' );
define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );

define( 'BP_DISABLE_ADMIN_BAR', true );
define( 'SUNRISE', 'on');
/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Kriscone

Hope you're well.

Thank you for your forum post. Yes, the Domain Mapping Plugin should do all the hard work for you, so before we continue, I would like to confirm whether you're running WordPress as a single website or a Multisite?

If you're running WordPress as a single website, then the Domain Mapping Plugin won't work. You can do the necessary changes to your WordPress installation with the following tutorial:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

If, however, you've already made the changes and you're running as a Multisite, then just give me a shout back, so I can get further support from the rest of the WPMU DEV Support Team and/ or the Developer.

Also, if you require any further assistance with any other topic/ plugin, please don't hesitate to be in touch.

Gina :: Multiplicity
    Trying out as WPMU DEV Support Staff - Let me know how I go

• kriscone
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

yes, it is a multisite set up...you can see that in the config file info i put into the initial post. The issue is my developer had to set up the alias manually...so the question is how to avoid that with the plugin since that is what I thought it would do.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Kriscone.

The plugin doesn't suggest it handles your servers virtualhost files or any other server file. Quite the opposite. Here are the documents for this plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/installation/

In there it walks you through setting up A Records and CNAMES. Part of running a WordPress multisite in sub domain mode also means you need to set up a wild card domain.

Was there something in the document you think we could make clearer? or add to the questions at the end?

We always welcome feedback to help improve documentation. This year we are doing a overhaul of docs. I just completed that one a couple weeks or so ago, so I'm eager to add anything you feel I might have missed there.

Just to clarify what this plugin does is maps a domain pointing to a multisite setup, to the right blog. always makes something like clientsite.yourdomain.com to clientsite.com

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.