Domain setting error: Wrong DNS

Hi,

tudatosfiatalok.com shows DNS error and SSL certificate also had problems. I just checked my DNS settings and everything seems fine.

Please check, why is it giving an error!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Surbma

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I just checked the site (and also ask my colleagues from other parts of the world to check it to) and it's loading fine now. There's no DNS errors and SSL seems to be fine too.

If there were changes made to DNS just recently, please note that such changes are usually not instant. It can take hours, sometimes even as long as up to 72 hours, to get them "applied all over the web" (this is called DNS propagation) so in case of similar issues it's always good to wait a bit and check current state of DNS propagation, for example using this site:

https://www.whatsmydns.net/

Currently DNS seems to be propagated properly everywhere so it should be fine. If you're still experiencing issues, you might need to try to clear browser caches, flush your local DNS (see here: https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/clear-dns-cache/) and try to restart your local router.

If that still doesn't help, let me know, please and provide some screenshots of what exactly are you seeing along with information about the browser and OS that you have tried with (along with version numbers).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Surbma
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

There were no DNS changes recently. The WPMU Hosting dashboard showed a red X and displaying the DNS error message. Now it shows, that the DNS setting is valid.

Yes, the site is loading, as I changed the Cloudflare SSL settings from Full (strict) to Full. After that, the website was loading fine.

So I don't know, what happened, but the website without any changes was running for months.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Surbma

Thank you for additional information.

I wasn't aware that the site is hosted with us as it doesn't show such information to us here on forum, unless we specifically check it. Sorry about that.

Was the site set via CloudFlare for all the time, since it's hosted with us? I'm asking because the CloudFlare requires a bit "special" treatment.

The point is: all the sites hosted with us are automatically protected with Let's Encrypt SSL. That cert must be renewed from time to time (I believe each 90 days) and that happens automatically. When there's CloudFlare added there are three modes of CF SSL - flexible, full and full (strict).

The first one shouldn't be used because it will most likely cause some redirect issues, it should only be used if the site on "end-server" is not protected with SSL at all.

The other two should be used if there is SSL cert installed on "end server" but there's a difference: the "Full" is more "forgiving" (like: self-signed cert, invalid-domain cert etc) and the third one requires a fully valid cert. So with the "full (strict)" if Let's Encrypt cert expires there'll be an issue with access to the site most likely because CF will not be able to verify the cert on server. But at the same time it might also block Let's Encrypt renewal due to that error - because there'll be no direct, non-interrupted connection to the site over http.

Switching it to "Full" from "Full (strict)" on the other hand makes CF not validate the certificate on "site's end" which in turn made site available which, in turn, allowed Let's Encrypt cert renewal.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.