domainmapping

Hello, i have made a subdomain and changed the a records on another server, so far so good. But when I want to 'map' and enter the domainname of the blog in the subdomain, the domainname simply dissappeares .
Also when I browse to the new domainname, it shows the signup page and not the mapped domain. Has this somethiong to do with shared hosting?

Thanks

Frenk

• frenk

Hi, thanks for quick responding, I already have a dedicated ip now, And it functions very well for the part of domainmapping. Which gives me the next issue.
    If I want visitors to subscribe as users or let them create a blog in the mapped domain. Should I have the membership plugin also being activated on the mapped domain, with the packages allready be configured?
    I ask this, because when visitors sign up for a new blog, in the blog create/submit panel they can choose on what domain they would like their blog to be installed, in my case... choose between favorite-webshops.com and bbizzibb.nl. But after submission choosing their blog on bbizzibb.nl (which is not the primary domain) the blog is not found, tells the browser. Has this something to do with subscription as a user on the primary site, instead of the mapped domain or just because there are no packages of membership configured on the mapped domain...
    Also at first after submission on favorite-webshops the subscriber is directed to their blog, but it shows up without the theme/html. Only text is being shown.....after refreshing the browser, the sign up page is shown and tells that the blog allready exists (its true, because its created just a moment ago). The blog just created, should show up correctly after submission, no?
    Thanks

Frenk!

• aecnu

Greetings Frenk,

Thank you for the detailed response, it is certainly appreciated.

I am going to stop in your last post above at the point where you say: If I want visitors to subscribe as users or let them create a blog in the mapped domain.

This part we need to work out first with clarification. Yes they can be users of the mapped domain blog but one cannot make a network or blog/sites with a mapped domain.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• frenk

Hi, thanks for quick responding.
    Well if a visitorsubscribes as a user, he/she gets the oprion to choose from a dropdown with the existing domainnames. So when they subscribe to the primary domain, inthis case favorite-webshops.com they can create a subdomain, but there is the possibility to select from the existing domainnames in a dropdown menu. For a tryout I tried to create a subdomain on a mapped domain bbizzibb.nl. In the network dashoard selecting all sites, there sure is created a blog, but with blogname 'geenidee.bbizzibb.nl'...... google sees it as a subdomain, but cannot find it. The admin area sees it as a sitename........ It shouldnt be selectable when creating a subdomain on the primary domainname....
    would 'rewriterule' help or may be a cname record?

thanks Frenk

update: if I install another wpmu in a subdirectory, would it then be possible to handle the new wpmu install as a new site with domainname bbizzibb.nl?

• aecnu

Greetings Frenk,

Thank you for your additional input, it is certainly appreciated.

When asking if something is possible, people seem to be missing the fact that if one is a competent enough coder, has a vision and the will, anything can be done and nothing is impossible.

So when they subscribe to the primary domain, inthis case favorite-webshops.com they can create a subdomain

This can probably be done with Multi Domains

update: if I install another wpmu in a subdirectory, would it then be possible to handle the new wpmu install as a new site with domainname bbizzibb.nl?

I have been trying to find the reference in the WordPress codex where it tells about MultiSites being put in sub directories or sub domains do not work right since version 3.4

But you can try anything :smiley:

Cheers, Joe

• frenk

Haha,
    ok you are right, sorry for putting a lot if information., BUT, if it isn't possible to create a subdomain on a mapped domain, then why is there the possibility to choose the mapped domain on the site creation page and create a subdomain in it (although it will not be found by the search engine)?

O and by the way, with wpmu installed in a folder 'wp' and a magento install in the root its possible to reach any wordpress blog located in a subfolder with a domainname, with the fishpig plugin... but its a paid module.

Thanks,
    Frenk!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.