domains won't map

Starting a new thread as requested.

I can't get the domain mapping plugin to work for my mulitsite network.

I followed all the instructions and the mapped domain ( walkthurston.info ) just points to the main site ( walkthurston.net ), which is then weirdly stripped of all css, instead of the intended subdirectory ( walkthurston.net/helpdirectory/ ).

Using most current version of WordPress with a subdirectory multisite install. Hosted on Dreamhost VPS. I tried rebooting the server, clearing browser cache, hopping up and down on one foot while waving my left hand, etc.

The domain mapping table is present in the database, but uses a different prefix (wp_jy5n57_domain_mapping), and the mapped domain is listed in the table.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Phil,

Just to confirm, you've got a sub-site at walkthurston.net/helpdirectory/ and you're trying to map the domain walkthurston.info to that sub-site, is that correct?

If so, the following url on your sub-site should have walkthurston.info added to that list. Could you please verify that's done?
    walkthurston.net/helpdirectory/wp-admin/tools.php?page=domainmapping should have walkthurston.info

Thanks,
    David

• Phil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi David,

That is correct - trying to map walkthurston.info to walkthurston.net/helpdirectory/

When I go to walkthurston.net/helpdirectory/wp-admin/tools.php?page=domainmapping and add walkthurston.info, nothing happens. After clicking "add" it looks almost as though the page simply refreshes without any action taken. Except that I checked the database and walkthurston.info does appear in the domain mapping table.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Phil,

That's really strange. So when you visit that page walkthurston.net/helpdirectory/wp-admin/tools.php?page=domainmapping, it doesn't display the domain name?

I'm really not sure what could cause that one, and it's odd that it would show in the database but not on the site. Could you check your error logs to see if they mention anything relevant?

-David

• Phil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi David,

Unfortunately I'm not getting any logs for this particular site. Usually (with Dreamhost) the logs are accessed via ftp at /logs/mydomain.com/. But for walkthurston.net all I get is an empty directory. Just contacted Dreamhost support to see if they can help. I'll jump back over here and let you know what I turn up.

In the mean time I'll try disabling all other plugins to see if there's a conflict with domain mapping. Already tried once with W3 Total Cache disabled, but no luck.

• Phil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I think I took on more that I could chew with multisite. Too many challenges that push beyond my skill level.

I've been migrating all the sites to independent installs, and am going to try out your user-sync plugin. Hopefully this will work out a bit better.

Thanks for your assistance with the mapping issue, anyway.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.