Don't yet see 'Network Setup has been added underneath your Tools menu item'

Hi - am following the steps in the beginner's manual and have edited the wp-config.php to
define(‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true);

however, I don't see the Network Setup link under the Tools (even under Network Admin)
and hence the options to choose either sub-domains / sub-directory is not available / visible.

makes me wonder...
- is it because I've setup the wordpress using Softaculous?
or
- is there something that I still need to do via the CPanel?
or
- am I missing something?

BTW - I'm a total novice, so...

• Charlie Pryor
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Niom! Welcome to the forums!

Judging by this thread at Wordpress.org, Softaculous may not have given you a complete package in terms of their auto installer.

Another possibility is that you're browser is caching things, and it's just not showing up. Try navigating away from your site and then coming back, and/or clearing your cache. Maybe it'll show up.

Manually installing Wordpress is much more complicated than an auto-installer... but not by much. if you wanted to start over and try installing it yourself, you can follow WPMU DEV's video guides in this playlist at YouTube.

- Charlie

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there @Niom

Thanks for posting on the forums.

One of the major reasons is copy/paste the below code.

define(‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true);

Now if I type it in it looks like :

define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);

Do you see the difference in ‘’ and '' ?

That is what makes a difference.

So instead of copy/paste I will suggest you to type that in and ofcourse if you have already typed that, Charlie has given you a good advice too.

Please let me know how that goes :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

• Niom
    • New Recruit

Charlie - Thank you for replying.

I've written to Softaculous as well as the hosting company... but I think it would be best if I take up the courage to do a manual installation of Wordpress.

I was shying away from it as I was given the impression that there are many things that are taken care of by Softaculous that I might bungle up (being a novice).

But I guess it's worth a try...

• Niom
    • New Recruit

Thank you Charlie and PC !

Nothing better than biting the bullet and good ol DIY... took your advice to give the 'Famous 5 min install'... I uninstalled EVERYTHING that Softaculous very graciously did for me and then followed a combination of:
    1. eBook - DIGGING INTO WORDPRESS - By Chris Coyier and Jeff Starr. (becoz I wanted to follow their recommendation of NOT installing WP in the predictable folder / root
    2. The onine manual 'WordPress for Beginners' by WPMUDEV (becoz it shows how to do a multi-site option - but does it for sub-directory options and assumes you'll get it for sub-domains).

And when I got stuck with the Wild card DNS issue (during the multisite / network setup & was a bit confused when godaddy (the domain registrar) said talk to the hosting service provider and they said that all I had to do was... well it was a bit overwhelming, so I googled and found...

3. http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/11339

So, at the end of it I have a nicely setup installation and I guess not the learning can begin.

BTW - my next objective is to setup a perfectly secure and syncronized development environment on my development PC... thinking of using a 'Ready-to-Use Software Appliance' (I've got Ubuntu 12.04 and I think it would be better to install an IDE in a VM and develop things). Suggestions most welcome!

Thanks again!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay in response as I was away due to bad health and could not get back to this any sooner. Please accept my apologies for the uninformed delay and any inconvenience it may have caused.

BTW - my next objective is to setup a perfectly secure and syncronized development environment on my development PC... thinking of using a 'Ready-to-Use Software Appliance' (I've got Ubuntu 12.04 and I think it would be better to install an IDE in a VM and develop things). Suggestions most welcome!

http://code.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-sync-a-local-remote-wordpress-blog-using-version-control--wp-22135 should get you started :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.