DOTW: Mobile Apps! What are your favourite productivity apps? (Participation = 3 Hero Points)

A new week a new DOTW! I was surprised that I hadn’t done this topic yet. I’m a sucker for apps, doesn’t take me long to end up with several pages of apps I never use.

1. What are your favourite apps for improving your productivity? Especially if it relates to web development in some way, but doesn’t need to!
2. What about non-productivity apps? Games, entertainment, lifestyle, etc.

I’m guessing a lot of #1 responses will be similar to our last DOTW, I know mine will be, but interested to see if there are any mobile exclusives that come up!

----------------------

-At least one comment = 3 Hero Points
-Must participate within 7 days of original posting date to earn Hero Points
-DOTW = Discussion of the Week
-Last DOTW: TASK MANAGEMENT! WHAT DO YOU USE?

• Tyler Postle

1. What are your favourite apps for improving your productivity? Especially if it relates to web development in some way, but doesn’t need to!

-Slack
    -Gmail

^Actively use daily

-Asana
    -Trello

^use semi-often on mobile but mostly for just keeping up to date unless it’s a question I can easily respond to from mobile

-SkipTheDishes

Not exactly a productivity app, but in a way it kinda is because I can be productive while waiting for my food instead of having to make it :smiley: some call it lazy but I’m gonna stick with productive :wink:

My most used non-productivity apps(in no order) would probably be:

-reddit
    -twitter
    -Spotify
    -YouTube
    -Pokemon Go … Gotta catch ‘em all
    -NHL Gamecenter for scores and highlights… soon … 1 month until puck drop and I have a reason to turn my TV on again

• PTaubman

The apps I use the most are:
    * Authenticator - for 2 Factor Authentical and logging into websites
    * Fantastical 2 - substitute for Calendar on iPhone
    * Waze - GPS program
    * LastPass
    * Amazon Alexa - for controlling my Amazon Echo

I have a folder/grouping called Productivity on my phone. In it, I have:
    * Evernote
    * TeamWork
    * A specific Mastermind App (Private use only)
    * Slack
    * ZenDesk

For Non-productivity apps, the top apps used are:
    * Pandora
    * The Weather
    * News
    * NetFlix

• ROIverhogen

- Trackingtime, to track how long I've been working on different tasks.
    - Google drive, to document for clients

- 9Gag
    - YouTube
    - Spotify
    - Instagram
    - Facebook

Just mindlessly switching between these apps

• Maggie

My favorite 'app' is paper and pen. Gotta be blue ink, black ink is icky to me for some reason.

I've been accused of being "analog," but I can live with it.

I use Gmail as a archive and sorter for radio shows that I produce for distribution. I figured out that by sending the shows out using GMail instead of my regular email, I can then search and sort better as long as I label or headline them consistently.

I also have several different Gmail accounts that I use for different reasons and use for archiving and sorting. If I buy something, that goes to one address. If I want a spare copy of something or find an interesting article, I email it to myself at a different address depending on what the subject deals with. I once lost all my emails so I set things up so that non-personal email BCCs to a gmail account so I don't lose them. I label headlines so I can search by topic and find things quickly.

There are two apps that I use a lot. Both are free with only tiny ads that don't distract from usability.

One is FlightRadar 24, which I use to see where the various jets flying over are from. Alaska is a major international hub and gazillions of flights go overhead using the Great Circle route to and from Asia, China, and Europe, etc. I can also use it to see if the jet from Anchorage is on time. Serious business here in Alaska. It works for any commercial flight that is using a transponder, anywhere in the world. It's based on Google Earth and I set it to show where I live and can see little jets on the screen if any come near. You all might find it useful if you travel or you are expecting guests. You can tell it which flight to watch and you can keep tabs on the plane.

(I just checked and right now a Korean Air flight from Seoul to Atlanta is about to pass overhead. It's going 592 mph and has been in the air more than 6 hours. How cool is that?.)

The other is called My Elevation. It tells you how high up you are. My upstairs is 97 feet elevation. If you hike, or even drive through mountains, this would be a great app.

InstaGram and Pinterest are fun for just vegging out. Like reading a magazine.

I try apps a lot, but most of them frustrate me. Or they want too much info. Why the heck does an app that keep tabs on car mileage need access to my email or my photos? Won't do it. Apps have to be a real benefit and service to me to justify my turning over that info.

• Artemis360

This is what I use on a regular basis to stay connected to my team and for tracking and notes.
    - Skype for Business
    - Microsoft OneNote
    - Fiverr
    - ClickFunnels
    - Slack
    - Facebook Ads
    - Mail Chimp

I don't do to much gaming on on the mobile device but I do use:

- Youtube
    - Netflix
    - History Channel
    - PokerGo

• Enduring Epilepsy (Katrina)

1. What are your favorite apps for improving your productivity?

Trello - task management
    Fantastical - syncs multiple calendars, imports iCal & Google calendar
    1Password - creates passwords, stores important info like credit cards, software licenses, wifi info, etc. and I don't have to remember passwords for every website I use
    Google Drive, Dropbox - document & image storage and sync for website
    PDF Expert - edit/sign PDFs, make images into PDFs
    Buffer or Hootsuite - social media post scheduling
    Eventbrite - post my event there, monitor ticket sales

Fitbit - Health is important
    Friendly + - a better way for social media. I use it for Facebook. It blocks ads, can add terms to highlight or block posts. Basically eliminate the garbage
    Flipp - budget planning from weekly ads

• Arom77

1. What are your favourite apps for improving your productivity?
    Brain.fm, sometimes surprisingly very useful to better focus on a job to be done when I actually want to do anything else than this one :slight_smile:
    LastPass, to manage all my login/passwords. Love it.
    CrowdFire, to manage my main social media accounts (and clients ones).
    Plutio, my todolist... At least I need to use it again, but I'm confident it could work for me in the long term.
    SalesFlare, just warming up on this one but I think I could like it.

Waze, always useful on the road
    Twilight and Windows 10 (used f.lux before Windows 10) to get some rest for my eyes
    Facebook. Yes, I'm the one who still uses it ^^
    Ulys Optic, on the road to, specific for France maybe?

• Matthew

- Hootsuite for social media scheduling
    - Asana for to do lists and projects
    - Evernote to draft up ideas etc.
    - G Suite for everything else

- addicted to Ballz haha

• Ryan

No question #1 is AirTable - I have a virtual company and we use it for everything from project management to client tracking to employee database. Pairing it with Zapier has allowed us to automate many of our processes (onboarding, client acquisition, etc)

#2 for me is Coda (1.7.5) - even though it is long in the tooth, this is my go-to text editor. Built in file transfer, direct editing on the server, syntax highlighting, source control, etc. The FTP is slow but unless I'm dealing with huge files, it's not a problem. the newer versions may have more features, but I haven't found them to be quite as user-friendly.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.