DOTW: Podcasts! Does WordPress need another podcast? (Participation = 3+ Hero Points)

Let’s be honest, everybody and their dog is wanting to start a podcast these days, and the WordPress world is no different. We even did a post about the Top 10 WordPress Podcasts last year! Now we’ve been bit by the bug, and are considering a series of our own. What would you all like to hear from a WPMU DEV Podcast? Would you even want to hear from us? :smiley:

1. Who would you want to hear from?
2. What questions would you ask?
3. What topics would you be interested in?
4. Do you listen to any podcasts? If so, which ones?
5. What do you think we should call it? (Bonus +3 Hero Points)

------------------

-At least one comment = 3 Hero Points(must participate within 7 days of thread post date)
-Q5 Provide at least one WPMU DEV Podcast name suggestion = +3 Hero Points
-DOTW = Discussion of the Week
-Last DOTW: GUTENBERG! IT'S ALMOST HERE, ARE YOU EXCITED? DON'T CARE?

PS. Our very own Ronnie Burt was on last week's episode of Press This where he spoke about the direction we're taking with many of our plugins and services. You can check that out here: https://webmasterradio.fm/episode/next-generation-wordpress-plugins-offloading-saas-apis-1

• Tony G

TL;DR : Offer something that can't be found elsewhere, or don't bother.

Many podcasts are just an audio version of a blog, unrehearsed and often unedited. While people can speak more than they can read/write in the same amount of time, that economy is often squandered, leading to long podcasts that really could or should have been presented as a blog. If there is any chance that this company is going to create a new offering that results in the same old tradeoff of more time for less content, then please don't.

But podcasts are great for those times when we do have time to listen but we aren't staring at a device, like when driving, walking, resting, etc. So if you can produce quality content that's worth our time, then sure, go for it.

As to what content, since you're aware that everyone and their dog has or wants a podcast, you need to offer something unique and compelling. I think you're sitting on a goldmine there of unique and compelling content. You have lots of plugins with lots of undocumented details. Podcast some indepth details on that stuff. No one else but you can do that. That will eliminate the need for a lot of written documentation, which we ( I ) crave. Topics can be revisited as the software is updated. If you produce these as recordings rather than offering live shows, you can take some time to edit in and edit out details over time, until you're ready for a final publishing. (Note: exactly like a blog.)

If you want to do that in an interview style, then have someone who is not intimate with a specific plugin interview someone who is. Someone in Support could easily note a FAQ about a plugin to a developer to get some insight into why something works a specific way and how to use it better.

If you run out of material for your own plugins, consider that model with others, interviewing developers about their plugins to understand details. Many plugin developers don't speak English well - in those cases it would be up to the interviewer to share insight with us that's been gathered over time. This kind of material doesn't need to be aggregated in a single effort. Someone doing these can work with websites that have a lot of plugins and note details about each as they go, asking developers questions over time, eventually coming up with enough material for a full-length podcast that's worth everyone's time. These podcasts can serve as a marketing vehicle to bring people back to this site to see everything else being offered.

You could also consider interviewing members via Skype or similar, and aggregating those discussions into podcasts on specific topics. Discuss with people how they're using Forminator, what they expect from it in business terms. Ask people how they go about SEO with SmartCrawl and optimisation with Hummingbird. Ask them about how they conduct their mailing campaigns. Ask about how they respond to emergency backup/restore events. Find out how people are using your plugins in various business-specific scenarios - or why they're not using your plugins. Get the success stories and the failures. Find out what they/we did to try other plugins before, and after, the experience with WPMU DEV plugins. Find out how retirement of your plugins affects your members - and put that into the context of the WP plugin industry in general. Then do a single podcast on each topic, including content from maybe 3-8 people, and summarize with what the company has learned from the experiences.

I think podcasts (and the blog) need to serve the existing, paying membership, as well as being of interest to those who know nothing about the company and its offerings. A good balance of content should help to make this a good investment towards increased revenue, and that includes keeping members interested and informed so that they continue their subscriptions.

Name?
    - The WhiP: Audio Edition
    - HeroCast
    - The HubCast
    - Voice of WPMU DEV

HTH

• Tuomas

+1 to all of Tony's excellent points.

As Tony already suggested, developers could give us insights into plugins, but not to stay too technical, add in a few guest stars, your users, marketing folk and so on. So not just technical stuff.

Don't know about specific questions, but I'd like to get insights into how to use WPMU DEV's offerings in a most productive way and also discover new things I could achieve with them.

I agree that with all of the plugins and the absence of thorough documentation gives you content for a long time. Add in a few interviews with guest stars, users, marketing folk and so on and you have an interesting mix of content. I wouldn't necessarily be interested in another general Wordpress blog, although you could at times do little excursions to e.g. using Divi or some other tools that support our cause.

I follow HBR's Ideacast regularly and a few marketing-related podcasts more occasionally. I haven't yet got around checking WP topics.

"The WhiPLash" or "The Cast of Heroes".

• Tony G

Thanks for asking, Micah Dailey : Sure, the opposite of long, unrehearsed, and unedited, would be shorter and highly edited. :sweat_smile:

There are many podcasts and radio broadcasts that serve as good examples. Like any blog, a good podcast has a theme, an opening statement, some supporting content, repeat, repeat, then a summary. Compare that to the informality of two guys chatting about random blogs over a beer.

Many of us would probably like to hear something more "produced" with an occasional recorded quote, music, bumpers with a word from the sponsor, etc. As a completely random example, just listen to the "orchestration" of this short Prologue from this episode of This American Life with Ira Glass.

But frankly I'd prefer less production, more hack n slash editing, and just solid content. Two guys chatting over beer would be fine if dumb jokes and digressions get edited out before we hear it. If at some point later you folks decide this needs a v2 upgrade, then sure, add some fluff - and be prepared to add some numbers to the audience and also to lose some.

Documentary? That depends on what you guys want to accomplish with this. What is your goal in producing a podcast other than everyone else has one? Will it be a podcast about the community and social aspects of the industry? That would be tough to do in documentary form. And tutorials are also tough to do via audio only. So the material can't be too dry. I'd use the terms like educational, informative, and compelling - still kinda dry material but still with a business tone to it.

I guess "keep it professional" would be my guideline. As soon as it gets wacky I'm clicking the stop button. I'm sure others would be much more forgiving. But I'd hope they just go somewhere else for their entertainment, I'm paying WPMU DEV for services and I really hope this company will keep that focus. (OK OK, with the occasional superhero just to keep it human. :wink: )

BTW, there's nothing wrong with alternating formats to see how it flies with the audience. Try one episode in format A and another in format B. (Hey, like A/B theme switching.) Try that a couple times and get some votes (use a Forminator poll!). You could decide to keep two formats going for audiences who have different preferences. Don't get stuck in a rut. Experiment. That process itself might be worth an episode to explain how To and how Not To do a podcast.

HTH

• Arom77

People who share what they have in mind about the future of WP in general - and even more the future of WPMUdev. So mostly in a "marketing" way.

How to make all WPMUdev plugins play well together. I'd like to get new ideas about how I can make them play well and I'm sure there are plenty I don't even know exist :slight_smile:

How to be more SIMPLE, user-friendly for the end-user.

Once in a while, but very rarely for the moment.

WhiPCast
    BatchCast
    HubCast

• Baldafrican

Have to agree with Tony G if you are looking to create another wordpress podcast ...please don't bother. Perhaps provide us with a roundup of the best podcasts of the week instead.

Further to the point, again I agree with Tony, if you are keen to create a podcast make it specific to WPMUDEV. Provide some background on plugin development. Perhaps provide some insight and strategy to make use of your plugins for potential opportunities in the near future. I am sure none of this is groundbreaking but more of an echo of the above statements.

As for a name, I was also considering WhipCast :slight_smile:
    Others could be;

The WhipSignal
    WPMUDEVcast
    DevCast

I know this is another topic for another day but, for me personally, I would prefer to see more attention given to the academy before adding any other new ventures to your repertoire. You could look at adding pathways to your academy so that we can emerge from them as functional cadets such as;

Coding Ninja
    - walk us through from newbie to pro by various courses of html, css, PHP and Javascript so that we can successfully write hooks with your existing plugins or even come up with our own.

The Don
    - walk us through the process of using your plugins to setup online businesses in various fields.

Multisite Maniac
    - walk us through setting up and managing of a multisite INCLUDING some basic server management skills such as setting up the preferred environment for a successful multisite.

I could go on but that is not the discussion of the week :wink:

• Tony G

I agree with Baldafrican and his agreements with me. LOL

Seriously - I think he has a really good point about possibly rechannelling from a new effort back to what was already started. I often wish there were more material in the Academy to cover all of the concepts described in this thread - and that's most of what I'd hope to find in a podcast.

Tuomas also said it more concisely than I did earlier, but if the Academy focuses on tech and HowTo's, that would allow a podcast to focus more on business, WP usage, and industry - with a strong underlying theme of marketing for WPMU DEV. We all want you guys to succeed. A podcast for us is probably not necessary given the existing blog and Academy. And you can still do an occasional podcast for us too, just not make a long-term commitment to doing it regularly. If you do a regular podcast in addition to using the existing resources, then it needs to serve your purposes of increasing membership, which ultimately benefits all of us here.

• DigitalPowerups

Um well I agree with Tony G for the most part.

I would love to hear more:

• about the WPMUDEV products - including case studies on their use. For instance how someone is using the Jobs & Experts plugin in a unique way etc
    • I'd like to hear from people who've built multisite and buddypress communities, how they grew them, unique ways they've used multisite or buddypress and all the details
    • WordPress agency owners and how they streamline the work and processes in their agencies.

What to call it?
    I'd work off your branding
    WhiP Audio
    WPMUDEV Audio
    The WPMUDEV Podcast - I mean it is your company name... why not

• Jaxom

Well first I have to agree with both Tony G and Baldafrican they have pretty much covered it.
    However:
    I wouldn't mind a podcast version of the whip so I can listen to it while doing other things as I only manage to read about 25% as I don't have time.

Not sure, but probably agreeing with previous a bit more detail on your plugins options that like to hide themselves, sneaking about the dashboard trying not to be found.

Some podcast training would be nice, again because I can listen to it while doing other stuff.
    Maybe some interviews with some of the old hands kicking around here lending a hand when they can.

The ones I make for Open Mic :rolling_eyes:

WPodMU :grinning:

Jaxom

• Steve - Just Think BiG

Another interesting DOTW Tyler Postle.

As a marketer myself, I think you're asking the wrong question. Your podcast isn't about WordPress and what WordPress needs, it's about your target market and what your podcast can bring to the party.

Your podcast is another marketing strategy that, I assume, will be aimed at providing great content for existing subscribers, as well as, content to attract your target client(s) and entice them into the WPMUDEV ecosystem.

If run well, you can expect WPMUDEV to grow.

With regards to the content, everything that's already been said is of value. Execution is the most important part but you also need to keep your content focused on the needs of your target client(s).

Rather than offering up more of the same, here are a few thoughts for you;

You need to ask; who are your target clients?

Developers?
    Designers?
    End Users?
    Any others?

Remember. You can have as many target client categories as you wish but the content they want is likely to be different, although, it can still be delivered from the same people (the founders, developers, users etc)

Marketing is all about taking your target clients from where they are (usually feeling some kind of pain because of a problem they have) to where they want to be (pain free, problem solved - what I call the 'Afters'). By focusing on the 'Afters' you can help your audience see that your product/service is the natural next step for them to experience the 'Afters'.

This is what your content should be focused on. Of course, you have a plethora of content to use in this respect.

As an example, you could ask the question "How Did a Simple WordPress Plugin Help Me Get More Enquiries for My Business?"

In this case, Hustle would provide the source of your content. You can talk about what Hustle can do, how it does it and you could have user case studies talking about the difference using Hustle has made for them - and so on.

With all the content you have, the options are endless.

It's also worth bearing in mind - especially in light of what TonyG and Baldafrican said about not bothering - that any content you create for the podcast could easily be re-purposed for the academy and/or documentation. This means that running a podcast doesn't have to be as time-consuming as you may think because the content created/used can have numerous purposes.

Different target client categories will have different needs and interests. End users won't be interested in the same things as developers, so you need to think about whether you look to provide a variety of content, aimed at different target client categories, during the same podcast or whether to target each podcast programme at a specific target client category, so that the whole show is aimed at one target client category.

Some organisations have more than one podcast - one for each of their target client categories with content specific to that category's wants and needs.

Again as to the actual topics, you have an enormous amount of content to call upon. The most important part is to think about who any particular piece of content is targeting?

Generally, in marketing, if you try to offer all things to all people at the same time, it falls flat on its face, so, each piece of content should be targeted appropriately.

Mainly marketing ones: Digital Marketer, Perpetual Traffic (that's two different podcasts from the same organisation each targeting different client categories), DUCT Tape Marketing, Jay Abraham

5. What do you think we should call it?
    Title depends on the Target Market.
    Multisite Magic (specific to fans/operators/developers that use multisite)
    WordPress SuperHeroes (more generic - less specific)

The following could appeal to developers, designers and end users;
    Making WordPress Work for YOU
    Make WordPress Work for YOU
    Putting WordPress to Work for YOU
    Making YOUR Website Work for YOU

I like Tuomas' idea of WhiPLash - my only concern is that it doesn't mean anything to anyone that doesn't know about WPMUDEV. But you could add a subtitle like;

WhiPLash - Making WordPress Work for YOU (or any of my other thoughts).

• Artemis360

From the developers and the feedback they will be incorporating from subscribers. You guys already do that with the roadmaps but it's nice to hear from the leads.

What part of WordPress do you guys dread working on? What's a pain?

More about aesthetic customizations for ideas to use on clients.

Just one and not that often - WP Tavern.

WPMUDEV Podcast... nice and simple and not gimicky

------------------
    GUTENBERG! IT'S ALMOST HERE, ARE YOU EXCITED? DON'T CARE?
    I'm looking forward to it but I dont want to be disappointed so kinda but no.

• Manuel

1.Who would you want to hear from?
    From wpmu dev experts/members
    Any related to favorable/favorite topics in question
    Please see topic in question with feedback
    Yes;
    I like to listen to podcasts, webinars etc, when (pretending) that I am interested in watching TV with the family.
    5. What do you think we should call it?
    DEVPOD (It reads and sounds well in all Latin/Romance derived languages as well in English. POD for ''poderoso''= power/powerful

(Bonus +3 Hero Points)1.

Tony G. as always, the first to comment, the first to come up with very good ideas set the scene for me too. I will have to say that he touches the subject that I have in mind and I am sure that I will have to start by quoting what he says.

I think you're sitting on a goldmine there of unique and compelling content. You have lots of plugins with lots of undocumented details.

I do not about the gold mine, but I certainly know about wpmu dev having ‘’lots of plugins with lots of undocumented details. ‘’so much so that I have been losing sleep over this, thinking if I should send the message that will follow, and to whom I should send it; then I thought that the best audience is right here in this thread, and regarding publication I leave it to mudev to decide on that. As I see it I think that it should go out to the members as this would benefit wpmu dev alerting their members about the issues in question.
    It is about something close to my heart , a subject I touched earlier in another DOTW but I didn’t explain this very well and sounded rather harsh. Not much as changed because I am still finding it hard to explain…
    Please look at the images, (attached),

and see if you can understand what I AM TRYING TO DESCRIBE IN THE IMAGES below, OK not allowed images here as received message
    our attempt to submit this post has failed.
    Please try again. Back to WPMU DEV Community.
    These images related t to the serious implications that might create or bring, in the long run at least, to WPMU DEV, as thousands of translations in Portuguese, Chinese, Urdu, you name it…start not to make sense because of lack of proper Editing of text of the original, before it is published. Issues that go against the grain of wp tech terminology. Some of these include issues such as spelling mistakes –‘’ ad for add ‘’Enter a title for your add‘’ lack of consistency of words- ‘’chose, select, pick,’’ for instance; slang /jargon and idiomatic expression that would cause confusion and a ton of mistakes- ‘’Now first up…’’now ‘’get the good bits’’ ambiguous sentences, lack of punctuation, inappropriate styles of language to mention a few.
    This relates only to Social Marketing plugin with 10 pages 135 strings https://premium.wpmudev.org/translate/projects/wdsm/pt/default/
    What about the larger more complicated plugins and their tech long block of text, ( not naming them here), but that I have recorded in a similar manner with monosnap, having similar issues?
    I have to stress that I do not know about or what processes wpmu dev may have in place to deal with linguistics and linguists and if any where to start looking. Translations of wpmu dev themes plugins is/might be the responsibility of WPMU DEV members but who is responsible for the original text documentation for themes and plugins?-The author(s), I would say.

Therefore I see a need to improve this situation for more than one reason, the soon the better, for the good of the members for the good of wpmu dev. The podcast or should I say DEVPOD, could help with many things members in this post mentioned, no doubt, including with this and other language issues. That is that there is a need for wpmu dev to establish proper guidelines and have some checks and balances in place, similar to wordpress.org No doubt a very complex system but one that wpmu dev needs, (in my opinion), to start creating, work towards it, if that ''gold mine'' is to progress much further, and serve as an example to others in a similar field of business. https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/handbook/tools/glotpress-translate-wordpress-org/
    Cheers,

Manuel

• Joshua

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for participating in this discussion! It's been awhile but today we released episode one of our new podcast, "Hello, WP!". The entire first season will be available for binge listening in January 2019.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/hello-wp-a-new-podcast-about-wordpress-by-wpmu-dev/

There are a *lot* of WordPress podcasts so we had to think long and hard about what we wanted to create... We wanted it to be unique and special. We wanted it to be helpful. We wanted it to bridge a gap. And we wanted it to humanize the people behind technology. I am not sure fully what we expected when we started... but what I did not expect was to get a deeper since of community.

If you are a pro WordPress user, "Hello, WP!" is for you. It is hard to remember what it's like to be new. But in order to build better products and websites it is important we don't lose touch with the end user experience.

And for the WordPress beginner... this is for you as well. We hope "Hello, WP!" acts as a guide into the fascinating world of WordPress and that it lessens the awkwardness faced when starting new.

Enjoy. Subscribe. Share. Review. Comment.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this Micah Dailey :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.