DOTW: Reviews! What sites and do you encourage clients? (Participation = 3+ Hero Points)

Quick announcement first! We've added a DOTW specific subforum! You can view all past DOTW's in one spot. Make sure you subscribe to the DOTW subforum if you want to keep getting notifications for them; all future DOTW's will be posted there. Moving this one there now :tada:

----------------

Okay, back to regularly scheduled DOTWing...

Review management can be an important part of any business, especially when you consider how common it is for customers to research reviews before making any purchasing decisions nowadays.

The unfortunate part is that customers who have a bad experience are generally more likely to seek out a way to leave a review than customers who have a good one.

1. What review sites do you trust(or distrust) the most? For your own purchasing decisions
2. Do you encourage your clients or customers to leave reviews anywhere?
3. What methods have you found most effective for getting customers/clients to leave reviews OR what methods have convinced YOU to leave a review? (Bonus +3 Hero Points)

As usual, the questions are just a guideline for the convo, feel free to comment with anything related to the topic.

When I say “review sites”, I mean sites like TrustPilot, Yelp, Facebook reviews, etc. any site that has a rating/review function - including wp.org.

Not sure how helpful of a discussion this will be for you all, but we’ll see :slight_smile: one reason I bring it up is that I was thinking about our wp.org plugins. We never use to have any rating prompts in them and as a result weren't getting many ratings. A couple of years back(approx) we added a review prompt into Smush, and it was massively successful - we started getting a ton of ratings, and still do.

A rating prompt like that is nothing new, many plugins do it, but it was one of those things we didn’t really have on our radar… until we did - then it was like oh s**t we should have done this much earlier :smile:

----------------------

-At least one comment = 3 Hero Points
-Share at least one method = +3 Hero Points
-Must participate within 7 days of original posting date to earn Hero Points
-DOTW = Discussion of the Week
-Last DOTW: JETPACK! YOUR FEEDBACK AND INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?

• PTaubman

Question #1 - Personally, when buying and doing research online, I keep it simple - I typically look at reviews on Amazon for tangible, physical products. More often than not, I will post on Facebook or in a specific group/forum for recommendations on what I want to purchase.

Question #2 - We work a lot by referrals so that alone is a great way for prospects to come already with a 'review.'

For this reason, we don't really use review sites for our work.

Question #3 -We did put out a request to clients a few years ago when we claimed our Google Business page - we asked some clients that we just completed some work on their sites if they would be so kind to leave a review on Google for us. Most of them did at the time.

So, similar to what you did with Smush, when you ask, people respond and will leave feedback.

This thread has kicked me into thinking it is time to request these testimonials and reviews. Thanks!

Looking forward to the answers of others!

• Greg

1. What review sites do you trust(or distrust) the most? For your own purchasing decisions

I usually Google it a read a few reviews on different sites to get a good feel about a product. When in doubt, I also type something link "%company_name% scam" on google.

Yes, we ask them if they may put one of facebook. For larger projects (or projects we really want to showcase), we directly ask clients if we can upload a quote with pictures and stuff on our homepage.

3. What methods have you found most effective for getting customers/clients to leave reviews OR what methods have convinced YOU to leave a review?

Have conversations beforehand. If you only send/receive automatic e-mails and alerts, you are less likely to have a great review than if you send real e-mails or phone calls or real-life contact.

Also, having a great product/service helps ^^

• ROIverhogen

I usually look on something like Tweakers or Facebook. Most of the times I purchase it from known/bigger shops so the trust factor is a little higher. When I do have to check I start of on Facebook because it's probably the most used and known platform so if a company hasn't joined Facebook anno 2018 I'm already getting suspicious. If the company exists I'm just taking in consideration the amount of reviews, their scores, the age of the page/company and the frequency of reviews posted.

Nope. As said in the DOTW. I feel like the motivation to post a review is bigger when it's a negative experience. The shops I've made/making are not that widely known (or not yet atleast) or are B2B. So it would seem a bit unfair to me.

3. What methods have you found most effective for getting customers/clients to leave reviews OR what methods have convinced YOU to leave a review?
    I usually leave a review when it's either above or below my expectations. That is when I get to leave the review directly. Like on WPMU support I get to leave a review directly after being answered. When I order something online and it (obviously) takes time to get delivered. When it is delivered I don't think of leaving a review unless it's extremely good/bad. Either way, for me it's all about the end product and the service in between. Not how shiny the call to action is.

• Matthew

Google Reviews
    Yellow pages / business listings
    Facebook Reviews

Google reviews
    Display on websites with client permission

3. What methods have you found most effective for getting customers/clients to leave reviews OR what methods have convinced YOU to leave a review? (Bonus +3 Hero Points)

Have drafted testimonials for client based on the work performed and results they received. Sent them an email for their approval or if they would like it changed. Then published on website. This worked quite well after completion projects.

• DigitalPowerups

I trust Google Reviews and Facebook reviews because people have their actual names attached to the review which I think adds credibility. I also get that people are more likely to leave bad reviews than good reviews, so if I see a few bad ones I'll click their profile and see HOW MANY reviews they've done before. If it's just one than I kinda discredit them.

Yelp seems to be good too.

I'm not the type to leave reviews generally, but I did give WPMUDEV a review on Facebook when asked to at the end of a live support chat where you guys saved my butt :slight_smile:

• Paul

Interesting subject with an odd story!

I've always mentioned to clients leaving reviews, mainly on Facebook. I know, not the best place for our line of business, but hey, the page was set up and people are there all the time.

I like religious and political discussions :smiley: and things heat up quite easily! I'm from the middle east, and a group from there did not like my defense to Israel. BDS shows up on my Facebook page, and bombard me with 1 star reviews.

There is no way of getting rid of them on Facebook. Had to take down the reviews section, which was nothing but 5 stars!!!

I then had to get back to having reviews for my business. So I sent out an email to all my clients (MailChimp) and requested they leave a review on Google. 2 buttons, one for the mobile link and one for the desktop link. They click and they're already in the section to chose the stars and comment. Got a whole bunch like that.

I plan on doing it more often, targetting those who did not leave a review.

I know there are a bunch of review builders out there. Where you can also select which reviews to push to Google and Facebook etc... but that's not so transparent :wink:

Did you get bad service? Leave a review and let us know. We won't hide the fact we messed up, but we'll make sure we fix it! After all, that's what reviews are for!

• Debbie

Like the new forum, great way to find previous DOTWs!

on to my 2 cents

I don't often seek out reviews for my own purchasing decisions. When I do look at reviews, it's usually the ones on the retailer's site or on Amazon.

Yes indeed. I ask them to leave a review or write a testimonial in the way that's easiest for them: on Yelp, Google, Yellowpages, Facebook, LinkedIn, or email a testimonial for me to add to the website

To get reviews from clients it work best when they've let me know they're happy with working with me. Sometimes that's right after launching a new website, other times it's after providing them with extra help .
    I'm usually inspired to leave a review if I received excellent customer service. Or if there's something about the product that I'd like to share to help other people make a purchase desicion. I tend not to leave negative reviews, if I have a problem I reach out to customer service to get it resolved.

• Jaxom

Great way to improve the DOTW, love that it's now in it's own category.

1. What review sites do you trust(or distrust) the most?
    Well trust is a big word but I use Amazon for most of my purchases so I look at how many 5 star reviews as I know they are verified purchasers. Rarely read them as if it has 2000+ 5 star reviews then it's good.
    On the Don't Trust = Yelp or Hibu, whatever the old yellow pages is calling themselves today.
    1.) I wasn't impressed with there "We will get you listed Everywhere" promise and after paying for a year for something I could have done myself in a few hours I cancelled the Plan to only have Yelp delete all my listings. So I ended up doing them myself anyways, total waste of money.
    2.) Contacted by a new client who was being hosted by Yelp, they had decided not to renew the hosting and move to us and Yelp just deleted there entire site with no warning on the day they cancelled with 2 weeks still left on there yearly plan that cost over a £1,000. (Personal Statement: What a RIP OFF!)

Yes and Yes and can I hit them over the head with a hammer to get them to actually do it!
    Where = Facebook, Google, send it to us and we will put it on the site, anywhere will do just do it Please, pretty please.

We are now basically offering a bribe to get them to leave reviews, 10% of next years hosting or a free security report or a free speed report or whatever we think will be enticing enough for that particular client to leave a review. This is one of the difficult bits for a small company that deals with other small companies, they are busy and we know they mean to write a review but like myself, I forget to do it, make a note to do it, note ends up on 5 different lists and I still forget to do it. :slight_smile:

Jaxom

• Manuel

None, (and all) in particular; I research through Google when I need to buy.
    blockquote>2. Do you encourage your clients or customers to leave reviews anywhere?
    Good/bad reviews and the individual scores achieved are very important to evaluate companies and individual's trust and performance alike.
    Reviews done by clients, costumers, members etc, are to be encouraged but with some discretion in mind. It's like asking clients if they are happy with the services that one has just provided to them; and their first thought: Oh! Oh! What has he /she done wrong!
    As much as one might not agree that reviews on the Internet, to quote, (on sites like TrustPilot, Yelp, Google, Facebook reviews, may not always be essential or beneficial to do business, (particularly in the negative) one thing is for sure these reviews are unavoidable nowadays. Protocol calls for this these days, and many businesses can't do/survive without some good reviews.

The best method is always when clients offer, feel obliged to do this upfront. Usually because they're thankful for for the service(s), support, advice, freebies, etc, they've received in the first place. Certainely this is how I do it. :slight_smile:

• Tony G

Around 1999 I conceived a business that would allow people to provide feedback on products. Family and friends convinced me out of it, claiming no one likes to take the time to comment in public. Lesson: Don't let family, friends, or even colleagues determine your future.

People DO want their voice to be heard, but they aren't going to voice an opinion if they think it won't be heard. Yes, invite them to comment publicly and privately. And learn from the reviews.

I'm always impressed when I see an owner responding to public comments. It shows they care. I'm almost as impressed when I see staff responding. ("Wow, I didn't know they read this stuff!") You don't need to make commitments in public, just acknowledge comments with a smile, a repost, a thank you, or an invitation to discuss the matter off-list. WPMU DEV does a GREAT job of this.

I'm extremely insulted when companies pretend to care and they don't. "Tell us what you think" ... where responses get bounced. Or copy/paste responses that verify that a human being didn't actually read the notes.

Either care... or don't. It's obvious when owners don't care, when people have exactly the same complaints over a period of months to years. When that happens, reviews become anti-marketing. Owners are either not processing the reviews, or they are not prioritizing the follow-up to this customer satisfaction strategy, which is to ensure that staff takes some kind of action based on the reviews.

If you're spending money on Marketing, you're wasting your money if you aren't aware of review sites where people are posting notes about your business. You can spend a ton trying to create a good image, and yourbizsux.net will serve to drive more business away than you can attract. Find and nurture those places where people think enough of you to take the time to share their thoughts. Ask people to let you know when they find a place that reviews your business, or a place like StackOverflow where comments may be made during the course of a discussion.

I know I seem very opinionated but I'm usually quite reserved about taking the time to share thoughts.
    - I do post occasionally on Yelp.
    - I post as a Google Local Guide.
    - I almost never write movie reviews.
    - I rely strongly on reviews at Amazon, WP.org, and the Google Play Android app store.
    - I do wish more sites provided an option for visitors/members to review and make their concerns heard, but these days it seems more sites are locking themselves down to isolate themselves from any such feedback.
    - All of my review reading is tempered with the understanding that there are trolls for and against just about any offering. "An educated consumer is our best customer." "Trust but verify."

Personally ( a review? opinionated? :wink: ) I don't like the limitations of the established standards for reviews. I really wish I had done it almost 20 years ago when the concept was new. Hell, I might still do it. :wink:

• Fred

I realize that I read reviews all day : for choosing a plugin on Wordpress, a book on Amazon, a restaurant on Trip Advisor, or anything on Google and Facebook.

For my clients, I encourage them to leave their comments on my FB or Google pages, but very often they prefer to send me their reviews by email... I know I should put them on my website, but something prevents me to do so... I find that a little "pushy". (sorry for my english, I hope it's still understandable).

• lance aligiannis

im pretty dogmatic.. i dont care wat others think.... i do my own research... i always run with which one looks the best n functions great too... usually that combo is in sync....

written reviews im not a fan of.. socials just gives idiots a voice.. (like me right now) :slight_smile: if u listen to the good u have to listen to the bad... the only ones im interested in r the ones people tell me verbally or by email... then i either agree n smile or tell them how wrong they r n y.. n usually im right.

if someone is going to continually focus on an 'after the fact event' rather than the 'creative occurrence' they will lose sight of their original inspiration, path n direction forward...
    some attention to it could be helpful if u deem it necessary to 'fit' in.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.