Double email sent in CoursePress : how to deactivate an email ?

Greetings !

One more problem with CoursePress. It seems that when we register a user, they receive two notification emails (they should receive only one).

The first one they receive is the correct one. It's the second email ("Email de confirmation d'inscription au cours") in "CoursePress Pro > Settings > Email settings". We translated it in French and modified it as needed.

However, they're also getting the third one (titled "Invitation e-mail d'un étudiant", at the same location). This one is in English. We didn't translated it cause we don't need it.

How can we prevent this email to be sent ? Usually in plugins we can decide which email notification to send or not send, but in this one I couldn't find that setting. Please don't tell me it doesn't exist ? :wink:

Please let me know, thanks a lot for your help ! Best regards,

Dushan

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Dushan,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I must say that there's currently no option in plugin to disable separate emails but we should be able to find a workaround to disable this email.

Just to be sure we are referring to same emails and don't end up disabling something else, can you tell me if "Invitation e-mail d'un étudiant" is "Student Invitation to a Course E-mail", third one under email settings in coursepress?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• DJExp

Hi there,

It's a shame, an option like that should be included and is included in most plugins I tested : control over email notifications is really important ! (especially if working hand in hand with an external autoresponder, as most pros do). Good idea for improvement in the next version. :wink:

And yes, the email that should be disabled is indeed the 3rd one, that is correct.

Thanks for your help Predrag !

Dushan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dushan!

I just got a replay from the developer and currently there's no way to stop that e-mail even by hooking to the plugin with custom code. It would require plugin's code to be partially re-written.

However, as we are preparing to launch CoursePress 2.0 which will be a huge improvement over the current version, I got a confirmation that this is already added to a "feature list". I'm not sure whether the option will be added to the initial release or to one of the first updates but it's going to be there.

Best regards,
    Adam

• DJExp

Hi there,

Thanks for looking into it.

I'll need to find a workaround until the time the second version is released...

Can you explain to me when this third email is sent exactly, compared to the second one on the email setting page ? Cause I fail to understand the difference between the twos (they both announce to a student he was added to a new course, right ?).

Also, can you please tell me an estimate of when the new version of CoursePress will be released ? (just wants to know if we're talking about 2 weeks, 2 months or 8 months...).

I'll write another post with 3 suggestions of improvement for CoursePress, and hopefully they'll be included in the V2.

Best regards, please let me know,

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi DJExp,

Can we go a step back here because it looks to me that emails are not working as they should on your site.

1st email should be sent after registration, 2nd one is sent after enrolling in course, and the 3rd one should be sent only if you as admin or instructor send invite for course to that user.
    If I understand correctly you get 3rd email even when user enrolls without invitation, is that correct?

Could you grant support access to your site so we could have a closer look at this?

Also, can you please tell me an estimate of when the new version of CoursePress will be released ? (just wants to know if we're talking about 2 weeks, 2 months or 8 months...).

Unfortunately we can't share any release date as there are a lot of changes taking place so there are a lot of factors that could affect it.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• DJExp

Hi predrag,

I understand. Will post some suggestions for the next update since I've been working a lot with CoursePress these days... The plugin is great, but some small flaws in it's design (that could be easily corrected in the next version) makes me feel like I cannot recommend it "as is" comparing to competitors LMS like Sensei and co. Hope my suggestions will interest you guys.

I granted you support access again, please let me know about the emails.

thanks a lot,

DJ !

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Dushan,

I had another look at your site and I see that all courses you have are only accessible by manually adding new students.

Do you have any courses that could be accessed without invitation?
    If you don't than that's why the 3rd email is sent, since that's the invitation email.

If I understand this correctly now you want to have invitation system only but disable invitation email, is that correct?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• DJExp

Hi there Predrag,

It's true, on our system we only do manual adding of students for privacy/security reasons.

To answer you, my first problem is that I don't think I understand the difference between email #2 and #3 on the email setting list... So I'm not sure how to answer, but I can tell you want we want/need, and hopefully it'll give you an answer to your own questions :

The students in our website are part of an "institute", they get access to the courses their bosses chose for them, it's not a public website, it's entirely B2B. So basically, a student will never be able to chose a course or anything. He'll be registred to the courses he needs to get access to.

So as for email notifications, we'd like the student to receive a message when he's added to a new course, but not one inviting him to subscribe to a course or something.

I'm looking forward to version 2.0 of Coursepress to be able to do more precise work with those notifications, or remove them altogether.

Hope it's clearer for you, let me know.

Thanks,

DJ

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Dushan,

Thanks for the additional info, I believe I get the setup on your end now, but it does still confuse me a bit because email #2 should be send if you add existing user to course and email #3 should only be sent with invitation, there's no case where both of them should be sent together.

I'm not sure why this is happening to you but what we can try is modifying current CP files to disable #3 completely, so could you try downloading attached file, unzip it and place it inside your /wp-content/plugins/coursepress/includes/ folder and overwriting the existing file.

Let us know if that stops 3rd email for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.