Double Opt In

Hi wpmu guys!

When a user registers he just gets a confirmation with username and passwort. I would need to have him confirm his email adress by clicking a link in an email (double opt in) before activating the user account. This is needed for free and paid account.

How can I setup this?

Best,
Dennis

• aecnu

Greetings Dennis,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for bringing this significant issue to our attention though this exact issue has been brought up recently in other tickets.

Further research has been shown to be going on for some time regarding this feature and the lead developer is quoted as saying "I would have thought that sending you some money to open a membership was opt in enough?"

Reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wordpress-membership-double-opt-in-form#post-93405

Though I agree this is not relative or covering free subscriptions of course it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

I do not know what happened with this feature nor feature request, but I do know that I can reignite the feature request right now and indeed notify the lead developer of the request putting it into consideration for future development.

Alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• CaraEurope

Hey Joe,

in fact even the payment is not enough for a double-opt-in required by law in many countries worldwide for sending email notifications to the user.

I am currently evaluating other tools for fulfilling my needs and found some nice looking plugins doing the job a bit better than your Membership plugin. As I want/need to start quite soon and do not like individual modifications to get basic features, I think I'll go forward with another plugin.

Thanks for your time!

Best,
    Dennis

• aecnu

Greetings Dennis,

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

I am happy that you have found a solution that you desire.

in fact even the payment is not enough for a double-opt-in required by law in many countries worldwide for sending email notifications to the user.

Compared to the 200+ countries of the world they are by far the minority and in most cases the most controlled, imprisoned populations in the world. That is the absolute truth.

However, this is not relevant to getting your objection to the plugin handled nor the opinion of WPMU Dev or it's affiliates and undersigns.

Cheers to absolute freedom, Joe

• CaraEurope

Wow. Thank you for calling me and the whole population of the EU the "most controlled, impriosoned population" in the world.

Yes, in the EU we have a different approach of "data privacy" than in the US - and both, the US and the EU approach - have positive and negative effects. For me it makes sense that I am only allowed to sent commercial email to someone who confirmed his email adress by using a double-opt-in.

"Absolute freedom" has - IMHO - to end where it affects the freedom of someone else. Filling email boxes with commercial unwanted mail is "freedom" at the expense of a third party and so it is fine for me that this is forbidden in the EU.

Best,
    Dennis

• aecnu

Greetings Dennis,

Thank you for your additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

I thought you would incorrectly think that I do not live in an EU country, but surprise I do.

In eight years I have been asked by the government or government official, police, or any related entity for my ID once, when getting a new ID card ... lol

And your wrong, I never said the whole EU and would not infer so since I actually live in one of the freest countries in the world - which is indeed part of the EU.

Right under their noses and out of Brussels control with a balanced budget and the ability to print our own currency at will!

Come visit, you can feel the freedom the moment you step off the plane!

I will happily greet you at the airport and show you real freedom.

Sincerely, Joseph Anderson - Sofia - Living free in BG

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.