Double Opt In Membership Plugin

I am looking for a way to make users that signup for a free membership account have to confirm their email address.

Register -> Email gets sent out -> Potential Member clicks on confirmation link in email to confirm their email address -> Status granted as a Free Member.

I do not see a way in the plugin settings or anywhere in the forums that have actually mentioned a working method for this. What is the possible solution that someone could implement to achieve this function.

• Suz

Couldn't you set up an account with Mailchimp, Aweber, or any other autoresponder service, create a list/lists you want to add your new members to, and then set up a Remote Ping to send their information to your double opt-in list? The manual goes through setting up the Remote Pings...but the key is that your autoresponder service needs to have an inbound api. If you are using aweber, I believe they still do not have one because they do not want us adding members to our lists through our means, they prefer to only use their forms. This is why their deliverability and reputation is so awesome.

So, I would refrain from using aweber, but there are many great services out there that will allow you to add to your lists via an api ping.

Though this solution is not sending the mail from your membership site, I believe you will be better served to do it via a service because of all the benefits (sublisting, server whitelisting/reputation, html/txt messages, newsletters, rss feeds, email blasts, tagging....) that using an autoresponder service gives you.

• thomasnelson

Yea, this would not work at all. The whole point would be to not pollute the Wordpress database with millions of fake spam accounts. Using remote pings would be okay if the only thing I wanted to accomplish was to get a clean mailing list. I am looking for a clean membership list.

Logging into the dashboard and seeing 24,000 new signups which 60% of them being spam throws reporting and reliability out the window.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I suppose remove the Membership signup page and then let them register through normal WordPress or BuddyPress if you're using that. Membership doesn't have the option to send out registration emails with activation codes.

You can also use shortcodes to create subscription pages:

[subscriptiontitle subscription="2"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]

Replace the number with the ID of the subscription.

So in short send them to the default signup pages, then get them to add a membership.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.