Double page generation and random page author.

Hello,

I discovered a bug within Pro Sites on which the Pro Site page (/pro-site/) is generated multiple times in rare scenarios.

This will cause a /pro-site-2/ page to emerge.

Also, the /pro-site-2/ page has been assigned a random author from my network. One who has not been registered as a user on the main blog.

This caused a little confusion (might I be hacked??!? Nope :slight_smile: ) but it's just a bug :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, thanks for the great work guys! Keep it up :slight_smile:

• Sybre Waaijer

Hi @Adam Czajczyk

Thanks for dropping by.

I'm not sure how to reproduce this, since I haven't touched Pro Sites settings regarding a gateway since mid 2014 (I use a manual gateway and signup form through Gravity Forms since then).

I'm sure this issue is related to the function create_checkout_page() within pro-sites.php.

Within the wp_insert_post array, no 'post_author' is given.
    I think the wp_insert_post uses the ID of whoever is running the PHP function at that point, I think it was the case of that random user who got assigned as post author.

To prevent this, we pass the ID of the owner of that site. I think the parameter could be given with the following code block, type casting is optional:

// Code here

switch_to_blog( $checkout_site );

// Code here

//* Best I could do to find the blog owner at the moment.
    $admin_email = (string) get_bloginfo( 'admin_email' );
    $admin_user = (object) get_user_by( 'email', $admin_email );
    $admin_id = (int) $admin_user->ID;

$id = wp_insert_post( array(
    				'post_title'     => $this->get_setting( 'rebrand', $default_title ),
    				'post_status'    => 'publish',
    				'post_type'      => 'page',
    				'comment_status' => 'closed',
    				'ping_status'    => 'closed',
    				'post_content'   => stripslashes( get_site_option( 'supporter_message' ) ),
    	'post_author' => $admin_id, // Add this line
    			) );

// Code here

restore_current_blog();

// Code here

About the problem that the page is recreated again is, I think, that the following function has no effect:
    $this->update_setting( 'checkout_page', $id );

I suspect this because 'checkout_page' has never been assigned within the settings array, and is thus created by chance.
    I'm looking at 'function get_default_settings_array()' for this information. But I'm unsure what that function does, as I'm awake now for a good 17 hours.

Well, that's all I can give you for now :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

EDIT:

Looking at https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/4.3.1/src/wp-includes/post.php#L3128

I can see that the post_author is indeed assigned to the "get_current_user_id()", whoever that may be :wink: This is not 'safe' with these kind of actions! D:

• Sybre Waaijer

I think I know how to reproduce this, but it's very time consuming:
    1. Get a server, with the 2014 version of Pro Sites installed.
    2. Set up everything :smiley:
    3. Install static opcode caching, where new files don't work until the server / service is restarted
    4. Update pro sites, now pro sites is going to handle the options differently, after restart.
    5. Delete the pro-sites page
    6. Restart the opcode service, and get a snack.
    7. Now someone else logs in on your multisite.
    8. Voila, random user has 'inserted' your post :smiley:

As you can see, many assume that the current user on activation will be the one with manage_options rights, but with caching, it's not always the case. Keep that in mind: close all doors and don't take things for chance :smiley: With PHP anyone can execute the code, even Google Bot who just wanted to take a peek.

It's a good thing WordPress has closed many doors, but I think this one is left open for vulnerability. Did I just discover my first WordPress hack? D:

Thanks and have a wonderful sunday ^^

EDIT:
    Opened ticket at WP core trac on this issue too: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34253

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.