Down alert

My website is down. Do you know the problem and can you fix it?

• Dimitris

Hello Pieter,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

I'm also getting a message in browser that site can’t be reached and connection is reset.
    I really can't tell why this is happening, thus providing a workaround for it, so please let me ask, did you make any recent changes in the WP installation, in the server or in the domain/DNS?

In case this is happening due to some conflict with a plugin or theme, you can try to force deactivate them and see if that makes any difference.

Prior to that, please keep a backup of your database, in case you have to restore it.

Then connect to your server via FTP (or any other File Manager) and follow next steps:

- move all folders from /wp-content/plugins/ folder to a new folder named /wp-content/plugins.deactivated/ (this will deactivate all plugins)

- move all folders from /wp-content/themes/ folder to a new folder names /wp-content/themes.deactivated/ (this will deactivate all themes)

- upload the default TwentySeventeen theme in /wp-content/themes/, if not already (so just don't move it in above step)
    https://wordpress.org/themes/twentyseventeen/
    (having only this theme in this folder, will auto-activate it)

- access your server via FTP, edit the wp-config.php file, find a line like
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);and replace it with the following (if the above line doesn’t exist, simply insert next snippet just above the /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ comment)

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    // https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/debugging-wordpress-how-to-use-wp_debug/
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    // Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors', 0);

If your site is back, then there should be some kind of conflict, so start moving folders from "deactivated" folders to normal ones, one by one this time, checking each time your homepage, until you reproduce the initial error, thus finding the conflicted combination.

Looking forward to your results!
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.