Download failed. Couldn't resolve host ''

I'm not sure why I'm getting this error... I double checked my profile and list of sites, updates are still enabled... I'm just trying to update the dashboard plugin, since I realized it was out of date when I tried to install a new wpmudev theme and it said it was installed, but then it wasn't there to activate...

Downloading update from

Download failed. Couldn't resolve host ''

• xInd

Yeah I tried it a few times... Seems to be something with my site... It's hanging up now and not displaying the whole page. Working fine on other sites as I just updated the dashboard on so I'll have to dig into it further tomorrow. Going to turn in for the night early tonight and get back at it first thing. I'm waiting on an answer from my host about upgrading to a dedicated server, so I'm guessing it's probably the site/hosting account then.
    Thanks Tom!

• xInd

Turns out it seemed to be caused by the membership plugin, as deleting it solved all the problems. I guess it also had to do with the memory allocation error too, so will revisit the membership plugin later now that I've upped the ram limits in php.ini.
    I had more plugins installed than I needed too, so I'll break that habit and only install what I KNOW I'm going to use, and add any as they are NEEDED. Not just because they are cool. lol

Thanks Tom! I'm headed over there to check it out right now. Do you have an affiliate link for me?

• Dean Kaus

@xlnd I highly reccomend spending the extra with @aecnu over at
    All of these other companies that promise unlimited this and that and everything have major problems with speed, throttling, and just so many other things. How I have it set up is that I use my site (on VPS server) for my paying clients and NOT for testing new designs, plugins etc. The cheap account is better served for that purpose and that purpose only!

Can't say enough about and @aecnu.

• aecnu

Greetings xInd,

Thank you for the additional questions and feedback, it is certainly appreciated.

Strange that reseller accounts cost more than a VPS

I do not understand - they are identical packages and price. Did you go to the wrong place?

Do they use nginx and php-fpm or standard apache?

Apache on Dual Quad Core Xeons 16GB Ram 512MB php memory.

Please advise if you have any more questions.

Cheers, Joe

• xInd

Thanks guys! I managed to get around the issues a little bit by disabling/deleting some plugins, upping the ram limit on the accounts in php.ini.
    I also found a great plugin recommended to me by a previous coworker that monitors plugins and reports on their resource usage so you can narrow down such problems easier, and prevent them.... Once I'm able to get into my dashboard again (having more host problems) I'll report back with the plugin name...

@aecnu I am headed back to the site using Tom's affiliate link, but last time I looked, the reseller accounts ranged I think from $30 to $80. The light VPS was $30. I was just pointing out my old schoolness re: hosting package pricing and VPS's being so cheap these days... Reseller accounts were _always_ noticeably cheaper than VPS's when I was selling hosting back in the day.

• aecnu

Greetings xInd,

Thank you for your additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

Reseller accounts were _always_ noticeably cheaper than VPS's when I was selling hosting back in the day.

That is because traditionally the reseller packages also came with less resources then the VPS's whereas ours were originally configured that way, but after I was asked by my sidekick Peter why, I thought about it and he had a point since the resources were the same in our case. So I made them equal, they are only VPS's and Reseller in name - they are indeed the same and everyone actually gets a reseller account.

Today for the most part VPS's are configured using Virtuzzo limiting the amount of processor and ram allocated for the VPS resources giving a fraction of the cpu and ram to each VPS and the reseller account was just a glorified shared hosting account with more privileges then a VPS but not more resources.

I do not use Virtuzzo or anything like that, as James Dunn explains I use proprietary software to manage the VPS accounts which makes them scream hitting full blast with Dual Xeon processors and 16 GB RAM making things scream right along.

This was developed for me by my then team of six to make our then Dual Core P-4 servers fly and not get dogged out by the amount of traffic they were receiving with 200+ sites on one box.

In today's world, when I applied it to my personally configured servers it makes things absolutely scream. In addition, I now limit the amount of VPS/Reseller maximum of 11 per server.

Right now ns3 which is the first of the new servers and is considered sold out, as reported by cPanel has only 6% of it resources used and unlike other hosts instead of rack, packing and stacking I choose to call it sold out.

Now just a few months later from when ns3 was brought online and configured, things have been going so well we are working on building ns11 with ns7 still having half of its allocations to go, ns9 sold out and the original ns soon to be retired and then allocating it to a another brand new server.

So needless to say things have been gangbusters robust and moving right along as those that discover my platforms jump on board to performance of the likes that they have never seen before, not to mention that in many of those cases the errors and troubles they were having with their old hosts magically disappeared after the transfer to my servers.

Thank you everyone for your support and comments in which you know I am grateful and I cherish the truth in a day and industry so full of BS it is enough to drive an individual crazy.

Cheers, Joe