Downsides of switching the main blog of a multisite

Hello
I read a good article on how to switch the main blog of a multisite.
It enables you to make existing subsite become the main blog. (Here it is. It is also cited on several blogs).
That means posts on site.com/01/permalink/ will become site.com/blog/permalink/

What are the downsides of this action?
1) Does it impact SEO? Will google treat it like a new site?

2) Will facebook "like" count reset to zero after the change?
(It happened so in the past when redirecting from oldsite.com/permalink/ to newsite.com/01/permalink/ )

3) Is there any other challenge I need to consider?

Thanks.

• Milan

Hello @dandire2003,

Hope you are doing well and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

To be honest with you, I've never done this before so I won't be able to predict all the outcome of this change. But there is one best way to test I have in mind. :slight_smile:

#1) Create replication version of your Main Network.

#2) Perform this switching main blog trick on replicated version and notice change takes place if there is any.

This will be better approach to test here, if we talk about google SEO then it majorly governed by title and meta information contained in pages/posts so it should treat that site as new one.

Thanks for being with us :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Daniel,

I hope you don't mind me jumping into this conversation :slight_smile:

Switching main site of your Multisite means - as you already mentioned - changing permalinks. I'm 99.99% sure that it will both reset likes counts (Facebook assigns them to an URL which now will be changed).

As for SEO: for Google this will be again new pages but - to make things a bit more complex - it may also be a duplicated complex. The lottery is whether Google will properly re-index those pages (or will it de-index original URLs fast enough while indexing new ones?) fast and smartly enough to not consider them as a real "duplicated content". Which is terribly bad for SEO.

Therefore, I think the good solution would to setup a nice "301 Moved permanently" redirect for all URL (permalinks) that changed so Google could re-index them. This way it wouldn't affect SEO (in a negative way) at all.

Milan is right about titles but Google is indexing much more than this. When it finds your "switched" site it will most likely treat them as (at list partially) new pages and while there'll be still the same pages indexed under previous URL's this may lead to troubles. Hence the 301 redirect suggestion.

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.