Downtimes almost daily

Hello,

my site is almost crashing every night. It seems that it's doing so while our cPanel server is performing account-backups and at the same time the site seems to try to access database. But why? Other sites in the same account are not crashing. Support access is granted.

Thank you and kind regards,
Sascha

• Nahid
    • Tech Support

Hey there sushling !
    Hope you are having a great day!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you encountered. I took a closer look at your Uptime Monitoring reports and it seems the site undergoes a "Socket Timeout" during the downtimes, which means, the server takes too long to respond and ultimately results in a timeout error.

These usually happen in cases when the site is not able to get enough resources from the server. Could you possibly get in touch with the host support and request them to check if there are any server logs recorded for that specific duration and site?

Moreover, for further investigation, could you please enable WP_DEBUG? You can enable debugging by putting the following constants in the wp-config.php file:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    @ini_set( 'log_errors', 1 );
    // Disable display of errors and warnings
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

These constants must be defined before the line "/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */" for them to work. Please make sure identical constants are replaced if they were already there previously.

Enabling debugging in WordPress will log any errors that the site encounters in a log file named "debug.log" located in the "wp-content" folder. Please keep debugging enabled until the next unfortunate downtime. Please upload the debug.log file in a cloud storage platform like Dropbox and attach the shared link in your next response so that we can take a look into it. You can know more about WordPress debugging in this handy article.

Note: It is highly recommended that the site is backed up before the tests or the tests are done in a cloned staging site.

Hope this helps. We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Nahid

• sushling
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi,

thank you.

Debug was already activated:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

but the current log was already 25MB including entries from 2017, so I have deleted it.

I will wait for the next downtime and try to provide the logs afterwards.

Btw, is it possible that the debug.log and error_log will not grow bigger than 5MB (example value)? How?

Thank you and kind regards,
    Sascha

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.