Dripped Content membership site for published content

Hello,

I am working on setting up a site where I would like to sell quarterly pamphlets or periodicals on an annual subscription.

I would like to set this up where I upload the digital file or link to an interactive version and make this available to an annual subscriber who would receive 4 issues (1 every three months) during the course of their subscription.

For sake of argument, lets say:
Q1 is July-September,
Q2 is October - December,
Q3 is January - March and
Q4 is April - June.

and one new issue will be published each quarter. If a user subscribes to an annual subscription in Q1, I would like them to receive the Q1 issue and they will be given access to Q2, Q3, and Q4 once those become available. They would not be able to access Q4 of the year before because that would pre-date their subscription.

Similarly, if a user subscribes during Q2 for an annual subscription, they will receive the next four consecutive issues but they will not have access to Q1 since that pre-dates their subscription.

Can you please advise me on the preferred way of configuring the membership plugin to achieve this result? I am not sure if a dripped content configuration is the best way to go since I am not actually transitioning a subscriber from one access level to another.

As a side note, I have also considered making a new access level for each quarter so a subscriber will transition from the Q1 access level to the Q2 access level as time progresses thus only having access to the respective file that corresponds to their current access level. I have not considered all implications with this option, one such undesired effect could be if the subscriber were to lose access to the Q1 issue once they transition to Q2 which is not something I would like to do. As stated above, I want subscribers to be able to access all issues that were published during their subscription.

• PC

Hello there Mike,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Membership Drip Subscriptions work a bit differently.

So if you setup a drip subscription, then it would make every new member start from a fixed access level and then as the time goes, their levels would keep changing.

Its not possible to start with the a later access level depending on the date they joined.

I however see this possible if you create a drip feed subscription every quarter for next 4 quarters and once the first quarter is over, make that subscription plan private and create a new subscription plan for next 4 quarters.

That ways only those who have signed up in the first quarter would be able to view the content in the first quarter and rest 3 quarters. And any one who signs up in next quarter will signup for the new subscription and so on.

Let me confirm with my colleague @aristath if there is any alternate way to do that as well.

He should be around soon.

Cheers, PC

• mike_desalvio

Thanks PC

Yes, that sounds like one reasonable solution although I do not know if my client will want to create a new subscription for each cycle.

Ideally, what I would like to achieve here is access to a digital file or link (either way works). When a member subscribes, they will have access to all files that were published since their subscription began. They would have to purchase one separately through marketpress if it pre-dates their subscription.

I am hung up on a way to indicate to membership that a file/link should be accessible or not accessible depending on the date they subscribed. This is how I got the idea to make multiple subscription levels to dictate this for me. But by that logic, for a user to retain access, those access levels would have to exist in private forever lest they lose access to those files.

I cannot think of a way to make the shortcodes achieve this result either because I also had the idea of having a page designated as an archive with all the links listed in a column but flanked by different access level shortcodes for protection (or more tag) but this is still a fixed set-up and what I need seems to be more dynamic. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.