Duplicate Blog Settings/ Content for New Blogs

I'm creating a website within my MU installation that I need to duplicate. By duplicate, I mean all settings, tags, cats, content, plugin settings, etc. ..... everything down to the t at will. Everything.

I realize that nothing exists that does this (I've seen the plugin that lets you set pre-set content for new accounts, but I only want to duplicate all content for specific accounts, not all new accounts) ....

To give you a little more perspective, our "Pro" accounts will sign up via WHMCS and will be given a cpanel account / login and will have paid through WHMCS. Then I will set up a MU account for them and email them with their login details and the changes needed to be made to their nameservers. So the goal is to create these new "Pro" accounts as pain free as possible with all the settings of our Default "Pro" account within MU that will live at pro.domain.com or somewhere similar.

I'm trying to understand what exactly we're going to have build to accomplish this as pain free as possible ... any ideas about how to accomplish this and what challenges we're looking at?

Any feedback appreciated!!!

Ed Update: This is now managed perfectly by our new blog templates plugin.

• lightbeam
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi everyone, just joined the group. Can't seem to find an answer to this one. Is there a way to duplicate settings for all new blogs?

It seems that at the moment every time I create a new blog I have to update the theme, widget, subtitle and plugin settings then delete the default page and post. Surely there must be a way around this.

I would just like for whatever I set for the main blog to be carried through to every new blog that is created in a subdomain.

Anyone know how?

Regards!

Justin

• sleenie
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I'm curious as to whether anyone has actually used this plugin. It is exactly what i need but it is in beta and I can't get it working at all. I'm really hoping and keeping my fingers crossed because it will same me so much time.

What other alternatives are there? I need to duplicate content (95% of it anyways) and settings straight across for every new blog.

Sleenie

• dubya
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Aaron

We have a plugin coming out very soon that may do what you need.

Really? I can't wait!

I would love to find something that will sync catagories across sub blogs. I am developing a classified ad site with mu at it's core (maybe bp too), and would like set it up so that each region would have it's own sub domain (region.province.domain.tld) with identical catagories, so if I add/edit/delete a catagory on one site, it would mirror those changes across all sites (litterally, several 100s of them) for consistancy. For example: pets/fish/chiclid/ could be extended to pets/fish/chiclid/african/ and pets/fish/chiclid/southamerican/, the new sub catagory should be available on all sub sites in one fell swoop. I'm not looking forward to having to do it all manually as we discover the need for less broad catagories.

Duplicating the actual content would not be desirable except maybe at the initial setup stage because we wouldn't want cross-posting. I hope I have explained my plans clearly enough. Right now the site exists on a whiteboard only :wink:

Is this something that your "mystery" (membership?) plugin might handle?

Either way, the Dev's are working on some prety neato stuff, and I already feel like I got my $'s worth here. Keep up the great work guys.

• sleenie
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

That sounds wonderful. Any idea how long? I'm assuming it will be for 3.0 or am I wrong?
    I've tried using the Blog Templates plugin but it appears he may have stopped developing it.

Right now I['m struggling to get about 10 new blogs up with duplicated content Believe me, the sooner the better.

Sleenie

• lightbeam

oooh, i just found this link you posted. VERY THANKFUL for this, will check it out now.

been using a the duplicate post plugin a ton. it is always so fantastic, always great when you can do something once and copy it over and over.

THANKS GUYS!!!

• lightbeam

darn. this plugin only seemed work half way for me. for some reason when i click the "widgets" button i get nothing, no action. also it says:

"Enter the details for any widgets that you would like registered to sidebar-1."

i have two sidebars as i'm using the Garland theme and pretty much all of the information that i need carried over to the other blogs is in the widgets, all of my menus are hand coded in txt boxes etc..

can't you just code this so that it auto copies all of the widget settings when creating the template? for me that is like the most important setting in terms of determining the look and feel. or maybe i installed it wrong or something? please let me know if you think there is something i can do, the other settings, pages, themes, etc all worked fine.

i'm still on 2.92

thanks!

justin

• lightbeam

also, if there was a way to copy all the plugin settings for new blogs, that would be fantastic as well. only a handful of the plugins that i use actually function correctly when they are enabled sitewide so i have to enable them individually for each blog now. seems like there should be a way to take care of this.

• lightbeam

also, i noticed that each time i apply the template to a blog it creates new pages, meaning that if i change the template and want to reapply it to update it, i now have duplicate pages. surely you don't want it to do that. even more ideally would be to simply click one button to update all of the blogs that have a given template applied.

• lightbeam

coolio aaron, i think that it could be a very useful plugin if you can fix it. i understand that copying plugin and widget settings might be a little difficult, but surely all that data is stored in the db someplace. regards!!

justin

• lightbeam

and actually i just realized that the blog settings such as the permalinks setting should all be included as well, it's just another thing that i have to go and change every time. you can see a section of the site i'm building here:

http://awakening.lightbeamacademy.com/

i want to open it up for other's to blog on as well, but i need to have an automated process that copies the look and feel of these existing blogs. is there another plugin that does that for new registrations?

• lightbeam

coolio, really this is a feature that i can't believe isn't simply a part of the MUMU ahaha. maybe they can integrate it later on, what would we do without plugins!?

just in case anyone come across this thread in the future, here are two other plugins related to duplicating and bulk tag / category management that i have found extremely useful:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/duplicate-post/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/admin-management-xtended/

regards!

justin

• lightbeam

hey guys, i need to use this plugin again to copy my widget and plugin settings from one blog to all my others again and i guess this plugin hasn't been updated yet? i still get nothing when i click on the widgets button.

i would basically just like the ability to easily copy all of my blog settings regarding the layout, widgets, plugins, permalinks etc. to any or all sites in the install. it seems like there should be a way to just check a box next to the site and apply the template across the board.

i guess i'll just have to manually copy everything every time for now.

• Ivan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@lightbeam Hi there, I haven't worked with this plugin so I will have to dive in and see what's inside. You will very much help me if you summarize all of your requirements/enhancements that you want.

• lightbeam

ok cool guys, yeah i guess i'm just using the multisite install in a different way than most but i set up a number of subdomains as separate sections of the site and i need the ability to copy my plugin and mostly my widget settings from one site to another. i'll just do things by hand for now.

regards!

justin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.