Duplicate Individual Menu Items (Or Alternatively have different menus for different roles)

Hi guys & gals,

driftwooddesigns.co.uk

I have researched easy to show a different menu show for users based on their membership2 level (or, even their role), but cannot seem to get it to work on my client's site.

I see that a common alternative is to create a monster menu, with all possible permeation included, and then limit each menu item based on the membership level.

In order to do this, I would like to duplicate menu items, and their sub-items - is this possible? This is because they are fairly complicated, and I am lazy (other reasons too, which I can get into if needed :slight_smile: ).

Help on either would be great (preference on separate menus).

Thanks!

• Rupok

Hi Emlyn,

I have researched easy to show a different menu show for users based on their membership2 level (or, even their role), but cannot seem to get it to work on my client's site

Thanks for asking. I think this is possible with Membership 2 Pro itself and probably you described it above. You can do this with "Advanced menu protection" Add-on in Membership 2 Pro. To enable this addon, please go to "Dashboard > Membership 2 > Add-ons" section and enable the "Advanced menu protection" Add-on. After activating, please click on the "Details..." link in that addon box. It will open a popup. In that popup, you can choose to "Protect Single Menu Items" or "Replace Individual Menus". So if you want to duplicate your menu, and then want to serve menu depending on Membership, it's possible. Or if you want to add all possible items in a single menu and then serve each depending on Membership, that's also possible. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

I believe, this will serve your purpose. Please let us know if you have any confusion or if you are stuck at any point or if I missed anything. We will be glad to help further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Emlyn

Hi Kasia,

Thanks for the response...

Unfortunately this doesn't work - I still have "Main Menu" showing for all menbership, but for the Stockist(Approves) membership - the menu is reverted to what wouod show if there was no menu assigned (see Attachment).

I am using Themler as a theme, if that helps?

Unfortunately this is a live site and not feasible to swop themes for testing - if there's anything you can suggest I'd be very grateful :slight_smile:

Emlyn

• Nithin

Hi Emlyn,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Could you please enable support access, so that we could see how you have implemented the the add-on, so that we could have a better idea about it, and suggest you according to that. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Emlyn

Hi Nithin,

I've enabled support now.

I've attached the following message:

Hi There - When I try to replace menus for the Stockist (Approved) membership, it doesn't replace it with the "Main Menu" as instructed, it shows random pages in the menu (as if no menu was assigned).

** PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS A LIVE SITE USED BY A CLIENT PLEASE DO NOT DO ANY LASTING CHANGES**

To replicate:

Mempership 2 -> Protection Rules -> Replace Menus

In "Main Menu" Row - set Who Has Access to "Stockist (Approved)" & Replace with this Menu to "Stockist Menu (Approved)"

Review in test Memberships - All memberships can see Main Menu - but Stockist Approved seems to not have a menu assigned to it.

Thanks,

Emlyn

• Nithin

Hi Emlyn,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Thank you for enabling support access, I could see that it's not working as you have mentioned, however I tested this in my system and it seems to work fine. This means that it's a site specific issue, and to rule out what would cause this issue, we would have to perform a plugin/theme conflict test, as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart), to have a better idea about the issue.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Since it's a live site I could see that it might not be practical for us to perform such test, please do let us know whether you could perform the test, and see whether it's a theme, or plugin specific issue.

As a workaround, you could try the following plugin to hide navigation according to user roles, and see whether it fits to your needs:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/nav-menu-roles/

I hope this helps. Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.