Duplicating an Entire Network to another vertical

Whats the best way to duplicate your entire website/network once its all configured,and clone it to another domain? The goal would be to quickly clone the site to another domain. Then edit all the settings and content to reflect the new website.

I've been working on a website for a long time, and put a lot of effort into it. Now, I"d like to quickly duplicate it into other verticals.

Many Thanks!

• Rupok

Hi michael nittoli

Hope you had a wonderful day.

You can use "Duplicator" plugin for doing this. Install and activate this plugin, take complete backup and then this plugin will give you one file backup zip file, one database backup file and another installer.php file with which you can easily change the domain while migrating to another server.

Please let us know if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Mike,

I hope you are having a nice day so far!

According to the faq page of the Duplicator plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/faq/), multisite installations are not supported.

“Is this plugin compatible with WordPress Multi-Site (MU)?
    No. Hopefully in future versions we will support MU”

I looked for an alternative and tried https://wordpress.org/plugins/ns-cloner-site-copier/

The first thing I notice - it is not working properly with nginx so apache is your option.

Secondly, the developers clearly state:

“Unlike other similar tools, the NS Cloner supports cloning the main root site at ID=1! But please be especially careful with this feature. Multisite plugins like BuddyPress add tables at the main (wp_) level of the database. There are also several global tables that apply to the network and NOT to the core site. The Cloner automatically excludes these global tables out of the gate so that they don't get cloned to all your new sites which will have wp_ID_ as a prefix instead of wp_. But tables for other network level plugins that don't apply to the clone could still get coppied by the Cloner due to its automation and inability to be aware of the table structure of every plugin out there.”

It is impossible to predict what should be copied.

On another note, they do claim to copy all plugin and theme settings so there should be no problem there.

Where I see the possible issue is with the big amount of data you have to transfer. You say you have a lot of plugins and have been working on this site for a long time, so you need to take care of the max_execution_time php.ini variable. It needs to be at least 60 seconds, maybe even more depending on your case to avoid timeouts and ultimately failures of the transfer and install.

The plugin provides some guide for that.

In conclusion, it depends very much on your case.

I would advise you to just give it a try on a test environment and see how it goes and ALWAYS have a backup!

I hope this helps and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.