Dymanic Search Form Using Custom Taxonomies and Posts

Hello everyone,

I'm very excited to be part of WPmudev Community and hopefully I could get answers to some of my complex questions.

I have been trying to build a Dynamic Search Form using posts and custom taxonomies but failed. I am somewhat familiar with WP, I just lack execution.

Here is the issue:

I have installed: custom posts and taxonomies plugin and did the followings:

I created taxonomies in the order bellow:

Select a State
Select a County
Select a City
Select a Zip Code

What I want to accomplish is create posts and display them under those taxonomies and populate them Dynamically. For instance, If someone Select ALASKA as a state, The next field should GET results for all the Counties in ALASKA, and once you select the desired County, the next fields should DISPLAY all CITIES in that specific County and the same goes for Zip Codes.

When a person click: QUERY (Or Submit) Results should display a URL friendly like the followings:

http://www.website.com/State/County/City/Zip/

I would really appreciate any help here, I'm clueless when it comes to PHP/MYSQL but love WP.

I hope this is my luck day :slight_smile:

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @John

Thanks for posting your question!

It sounds like a great idea! It would need a bit of custom coding which we can't really help with, however a quick Google search turned up the following free plugins that might be a good starting point for you:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/taxonomy-picker/
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/faceted-search/

A bit of AJAX to update the other fields and you'd be good to go.

It might be a good idea to check out WPMU Jobs and see if anyone there can help you out.

I hope this gives you a good starting point at least.

Cheers,
    Mike

• John
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Mike, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post; i appreciate it. Although the taxonomy picker was close to what I'm trying to accomplish it didn't perform what I was hoping for. As matter of fact I have tried both plugins before. Thank you again but I am still looking.....

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @John

That's why I suggested WPMU Jobs, I don't think you will find a plugin that does what you need off the shelf :slight_frown:

Try looking for "drill down" or "chained select", do a search for something like "wordpress taxonomy chained select" and similar things on Google and see what you come up with.

Like I said, I think you will struggle to find something that does exactly what you need.

Cheers,
    Mike

• John
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Mike, Thanks for everything, I have posted the same post on the Job board. I don't know if CustomPress plugin will do the trick. If anyone here had any experience with CustomPress please let me know,

John

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @John

I think this will take more than CustomPress to achieve. Whilst you could use CustomPress to add the State, City, etc to the posts, giving you something to refine by, what you need is some custom AJAX code to alter the results and the dropdown boxes as you choose the,

I hope you find someone on the job board to help you with this, I'm sure you will we have some brilliant and talented members here!

Cheers,
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.