e-mail settings for e-Newletter

I'm not terribly adept at setting up e-mail yet, and am having problems getting this to work. I have a LAMP VPS server, I am sending e-mails from a site located on that server, but it keeps throwing errors. I originally had a successful bounceback test, but now that is failing also.

Any ideas what I should be putting in those fields? I have e-mail accounts on the server, and they do work.

diogenese19348

Still not working. The bounce tests works, but the e-mails don't, all I get is an "error" box, even if I try to send to the bounce address.

Here's what I have in the boxes"
    From E-mail diogenese19348 (at)flagonscave.com
    SMTP Outgoing Server: mail.flagonscave.com
    SMTP Username and Password are both blank (The IP address has authorization to use the server)
    Bounce address: diogenese19348 (at)flagonscave.com
    POP mail.flagonscave.com
    POP Username diogenese19348 (at)flagonscave.com
    Password (well it's the right password )

What i get on the test is it can't open the email (it doesn't like that POP mail address) but when I look in the account, the test message did get there.

So any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Wordpress does send me e-mails from that server all the time, usually of the latest spammers who signed up.

aecnu

Greetings diogenese19348,

Thank you for the additional input and troubleshooting that you have clearly done which is certainly appreciated.

It is my opinion that it is a hosting restriction not allowing smtp done outside the network from what I can tell and information supplied.

If running cPanel check SMTP restrictions. Also note if there is an error log in the root of your WordPress installation that gives any clues and perhaps your php error log as well.

In addition, if there is a firewall preventing SMTP form connecting to outside servers?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

diogenese19348

I'm assuming there has to be a restriction somewhere, since the plugin works for others. This is set up at Arvixe, I have a VPS account there, and this installation is on the main account on that VPS.

I have both cpanel and WHM access, what I don't have is a lot of knowledge about e-mail configuration.

I don't see anything in cPanel dealing with SMTP restrictions, if there is a particular applet I should be looking for, let me know.

On the WHM side, I have access to a pretty good set of statistics for the SMTP server, one thing that stands out to me was this:

Rejected RCPT: Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client, or login to the IMAP/POP3 server before sending your message. stats.dio.arvixevps.com (www.flagonscave.com) [192.169.54.76]

The error log in root does not show any errors pertaining to this, I truncated it, ran another e-mail send, got the error, and checked that file again. It was clean.

The system does send outside e-mail if you log into the e-mail address I was using and send it, so I doubt it's a firewall issue. I think it is something I have sent wrong in that plugin.

aecnu

Thank you for the additional clarification which is indeed appreciated and in your last post there was an item that also caught my eye, this item:

Rejected RCPT: Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client, or login to the IMAP/POP3 server before sending your message. stats.dio.arvixevps.com (www.flagonscave.com) [192.169.54.76]

This is telling us two things, that it is using POP before SMTP, meaning that one must try to receive mail before being allowed to send mail, and the other is that the smtp server requires authentication before allowing a send - which either is optional.

With that said can you please post screen shots of your e-Newsletter General settings, Outgoing email settings, and Bounce settings and be sure to mark out user names and passwords before posting the screen shots.

On a side note, since the most common settings that members want to use are for GMail, I am going to ask the lead developer @Maniu in here to give us what settings work for GMail for all three sections of the plugin indicated above i.e. General settings, Outgoing email settings, and Bounce settings.

Look forward to hearing from you regarding the above and from the lead developer too so we can get some resolution to these items.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

diogenese19348

I figured it out but I'm not sure I understand it. The problem was the Outgoing Email settings. for the thing to work I had to set the SMTP username and password to the main account, that is the same username and password I use to log into cpanel. That account is also the name of the default e-mail account on the server, but I don't think that has anything to do with it, since I am NOT using that as the address I am sending from.

I'm not sure how much of a security breach that is since the plugin is storing that password somewhere, presumably in the database, and presumably encrypted.

Anyway, that does allow the e-mails to send.

aecnu

Thank you for that incredible find and input there which is certainly appreciated and I am happy you have found a way for this to work in your particular hosting arena.

Form my understanding we have a new developer assigned to this project @Maniu who is already working on this plugin with me in a different thread and I have flagged him to this thread so that he can see what is/was going on here and offer his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

Maniu

Hello Everybody!

@diogenese19348, it looks like your mail server configuration does not allows you to send emails without authentication for your site.

I do not know a reason for it but i suggest you to maybe try using "php mail" method for sending, or set up email account just for newsletter and use it with our plugin, this way you wont be storing your master password(it is encrypted but yes, its better to be save

You can also try out new beta of eNewsletter located here: HERE

it has lots of improvements so maybe it will work better for you.
    Please do backup if you want to use it on live site but generally it should work smoothly

Thanks,
    Maniu

diogenese19348

Thanks Maniu, since the site I have it installed on hasn't hit production yet I'll go try the beta. This plugin has a huge number of possibilities for my customers I want to make sure I understand how to set it up correctly before I roll it out to them. I have one charity organization and a catering organization in particular that would really love to be able to send out event newsletters to subscriber lists in particular.

aecnu

In consideration of the lead developers last response, it appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe