E-mails not working FROM Wordpress anymore

I all of the sudden stopped receiving any and all e-Mails from my Wordpress including comment notifications, contact form submissions, WP backups, new user notifications - any and all e-Mails.
I have tried using different e-Mail addresses, setting up STMP, nothing works :slight_frown:

Any advice, help?!
I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Kimberly

Hello @NicoleElmore!

You should check the Settings>General and Settings>Discussion menus.

Make sure you have the correct email address in the General menu for admin notification purposes, maybe even retype and save it again just to be sure.

When you get to the Discussion settings, be sure you have the email notifications checked.

If neither of these get you sorted please re-open this ticket and let me know. We can see what else the problem might be :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Kimberly

• NicoleElmore

Yes, I checked and re-typed already about 20 times and had tried with different e-Mail addresses, etc. etc.
    I checked my error logs today and it seems this is the problem:

[Thu Jan 03 11:18:29 2013] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `entrepreneurlead.com' does NOT match server name!?
    [Thu Jan 03 11:28:20 2013] [warn] [client 184.168.230.193] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 120 seconds
    [Thu Jan 03 11:28:20 2013] [error] [client 184.168.230.193] Premature end of script headers: job_run.php
    [Thu Jan 03 11:53:19 2013] [warn] [client 184.168.230.193] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 120 seconds
    [Thu Jan 03 11:53:19 2013] [error] [client 184.168.230.193] Premature end of script headers: job_run.php

"Premature end of script headers: job_run.php" - Do you know how or where I could fix this?

• NicoleElmore

hi Kimberly,
    unfortunately my hosting company is not being helpful at all and seems to have no clue about anything. I will switch sometime in the future, but cannot undertake this task now.
    So I am trying to figure this out without their help.
    Since my site is live, it says that is it not recommended to run DEBUG on live sites.
    I will first try to deplete all other possible fixes before I would try debugging.

Do you know how I can show detailed error messages (in my error logs) to see in further detail what the actual issue is that is preventing my e-Mails from being sent?

Thanks,
    Nicole

• Kimberly

My first suggestion would be to find out from the sysadmin if php's mail() function works. That's not something I can help you figure out.

Secondly you state you tried STMP, what did you try exactly? a plugin? to get around the php mailer? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/

What version of WP are you on? are you mapping the domain of the site?

I'm not sure I follow what you mean about detailed error messages, what is in your log is the error, i am not aware that there is any more detail beyond searching the error code.

For instance: google search job_run.php

leads me to believe that your WP Cron is not running. You'd need to get to your cPanel to see if that is the case.

searching your second error code leads to: mod_fcgid is a high performance alternative to mod_cgi or mod_cgid, which starts a sufficient number instances of the CGI program to handle concurrent requests, and these programs remain running to handle further incoming requests. It is favored by the PHP developers, for example, as a preferred alternative to running mod_php in-process, delivering very similar performance.

Again, to do with hosting.

and this: RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `entrepreneurlead.com' does NOT match server name!?

Again, a hosting issue unless you run your own servers.

I'm seeing a pattern :slight_smile:

I do hope this is a bit more helpful.

• NicoleElmore

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you for explaining those errors in the error logs further to me. I certainly do see a pattern and plan to move my hosting in a few months, but for now I need to get my e-Mails and notifications up and running again with this hosting.

To answer your questions:
    I am mapping the domain: http://entrepreneurlead.com/
    Current WP version: 3.4.2

Correct, I figured it may be the PHP mailer that stopped working for some reason (not sure if there is a way to test why it stopped working or whether the issue is on my end or the host's end?!), that is why I downloaded and configured the WP Mail STMP Plugin.

What is very interesting (or rather weird) is that I tried to run it through STMP - I configured it Monday morning and tried to test it a few times and it didn't work. The next morning (without me even being in my Wordpress anymore) it started working all of the sudden all by itself, all e-Mails and notifications worked (except for my security backup and new user registration e-Mails). I tried to send another test e-Mail through STMP and all of the sudden everything stopped working again.

There is one thing I haven't tried yet and that is changing any of my DNS settings?! I wasn't sure if I should add or change any of them to relay-hosting.secureserver.net or if the setting in the STMP plugin would make changing the DNS manually unnecessary.
    Do you think that should have anything to do with it? But I hadn't ever changed it and it was working temporarily on Tuesday and partially on Wednesday, so I am just very confused and frustrated.

• Kimberly

Nicole,

What other plugins are you running on the site? Have you tried to deactivate everything for a bit, then register a test user to see if the email fires? If you are using a plugin that alters your cron for your site it could be causing trouble.

Do you know how to access your cpanel? You can check the cron there.

Can you think of ANYTHING that might be different on the two days that it worked?

• NicoleElmore

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for your continued help. I actually have an update: I received an e-Mail from my host today and they finally found the issue and it's on their end =/
    They were unable to provide me with a time frame of how long it will take them to fix it and said there is nothing on my end I can do other than wait.

I will mark this topic as resolved.
    Thank you all your help.
    I just hope it will get fixed soon on their end. Very frustrating.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.