e-newsletter and Amazon SES SMTP settings

Hi,

I am trying to send a newsletter with the e-newsletter plugin using Amazon SES. I have set the SMTP credentials for Amazon SES but I am unable to send the emails (I get an error saying 'The following FROM address failed my@email.com : Called Mail() without being connected'.

I have checked that all ports (25,465, 587) are open with my host. I have tried all the ports in the SMTP settings for e-newsletter.

I have installed the WP SES plugin and this is able to send the emails via Amazon SES without any problems.

When I set the e-newsletter settings to send with phpmail, it doesn't send through WP SES since it is using the mail() function rather than the wp_mail function which WP SES intercepts.

How can we get e-newsletter sending emails through Amazon's SES SMTP settings?

Thanks

• Sembisoft
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Alexander,

I couldn't get the e-newsletter SMTP settings to work with the Amazon SES credentials. I am more than happy to use the e-newsletter SMTP settings, but if you could help in getting this working with Amazon SES SMTP settings, then that would be great.

Thanks

Gurdeep

• jetmac
    • Recruit

You have to use a separate SMTP -- you can't use any other plugins. I would disable that plugin.

Check the SES SMTP settings, and make sure everything is working on both Amazon's end and yours.

I use Amazon SES for my mailings and it works fine, but you have to take some time in the beginning to make sure everything is proper. Amazon has several layers of stuff to do (keys, verification, DNS settings, production account activation, etc) to get it to work.

Also, try different ports -- Amazon supports several, and not all will work for you. I think they're divvied out regionally.

• Sembisoft

Hi jetmac,

Thanks for your reply, I had done all that (DNS, domain verification, CNAME & TXT records, production access) and still having issues. No problem sending test emails etc via SES SMTP plugin, all works fine. Only issue is that e-newsletter uses the mail() function in PHP rather than wp_mail() so that email is not routed through the SES SMTP plugin.

And if you enter the Amazon SES SMTP credentials in the e-newsletter settings, it doesn't work no matter which ports you use.

The best solution here is probably modifying the e-newsletter code so that when it is using PHP mail, it uses the wp_mail() function instead and if anyone can advise of the changes that need to be made to achieve this then that would really help.

Thanks

• Sembisoft

Hi Maniu,

That would be great.

One other feature that would be great to have is a way to unset that a newsletter has been sent to a particular member (sometimes need to resend to a user). Is there a PHP function call that we can use to achieve this? Currently we are having to delete out the row from the database table manually. Maybe an extra column in the table where we can set whether the newsletter should be sent to that member again.

Thanks

Gurdeep

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.