E-newsletter bounce settings test fail.

Hi

I have been using e-newsletter successfully for a while on one site and was just setting it up for use on another.

I have been unable to perform a successful test of the bounce settings in the new domain and, after looking at the first domain where it was working, have now discovered this sites bounce settings are failing too.

I get the following error message in a pop up;

Warning</b>: imap_open() [function.imap-open]: Couldn't open stream {mail.schoolinformer.com:110/pop3/notls}INBOX in <b>/home/schoolin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1300</b>
Can not authenticate to POP3 server: Authentication failed.

I can confirm that the settings are correct but I have noticed that after saving, the password field is repopulated with a seemingly random string of characters.

I wonder if this is the issue. Perhaps the plugin is changing the password somehow?

It was tested and working fine on the first domain so I am not sure if this is since a recent update.

Thanks in advance

Stef

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there Stefanie, I hope you're well today!

Can not authenticate to POP3 server: Authentication failed.

Could you please provide some more details?
    Are you trying to use it with gmail or a similar service?

Could you please provide us with your settings? (ok, obviously not your email address or password. a ******@gmail.com will suffice) :slight_smile:

Awaiting your reply,
    Ari.

• Stefanie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Ari

I am not sure what settings you require me to send to you as there is only email, password and smtp server required in the bounce tab?

I have pin pointed the issue-

The test connection button works and returns a 'success' as long as you test before saving your settings

It seems the password is being encrypted after saving as the password field is repopulated with a random string of characters.

After saving, thee encrypted password is not allowing access to the server.

Thanks

Stef

• aristath
    • Recruit

Though I doubt it has something to do with the password encryption, you can test it like this:

If you open up the class.functions.php located in the e-newsletter/email-newsletter file, lines 1163-1183 are like this:

/**
         * Encrypt text (SMTP password)
         **/
        protected function _encrypt( $text ) {
            if  ( function_exists( 'mcrypt_encrypt' ) ) {
                return base64_encode( @mcrypt_encrypt( MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256, DB_PASSWORD, $text, MCRYPT_MODE_ECB ) );
            } else {
                return $text;
            }
        }

/**
         * Decrypt password (SMTP password)
         **/
        protected function _decrypt( $text ) {
            if ( function_exists( 'mcrypt_decrypt' ) ) {
                return trim( @mcrypt_decrypt( MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256, DB_PASSWORD, base64_decode( $text ), MCRYPT_MODE_ECB ) );
            } else {
                return $text;
            }
        }

Replace those lines with this:

/**
         * Encrypt text (SMTP password)
         **/
        protected function _encrypt( $text ) {
                return $text;
        }

/**
         * Decrypt password (SMTP password)
         **/
        protected function _decrypt( $text ) {
                return $text;
        }

This will bypass the whole encoding/decoding part of the plugin.
    Please note though that you may have to re-edit and save your password.

I hope that helps...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Stefanie

Hi Ari

You are right

Tried it but still no access.

I have accessed the bounce email address via mac mail and confirm the UN and PW are correct and there are numerous test bound emails sent to the account but access via the plugin has just stopped. I have no idea why as it has been ok.

pop 3 host mail.localpaper.co

I tried localhost but still no access (unless I entered it incorrectly)

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help once again.

Stef

• Stefanie

Thanks Ari.

I am stumped too. The test is working fine until you click save and then it doesn't function any more.

I have tried this on 3 of my sites and it is not working on any of them.

I have noticed that before the update, the password field was not encrypted with the password remaining viewable in the field after saving.

Now however, after saving the bounce settings, the password is encrypted and the field then shows a string of random characters. (should these be dots?).

I wonder if I could uninstall, including database entries and re-install.

Do you advise this and if so could you tell be the database tables to delete?

Thanks

Nick

• Stefanie

Hi Barry

I have but this is on a working site so I am unable to use the beta.

I have just had a thought though. I am not certain if it was to this site as I am flicking between about 55 domains at the moment but I think I may have uploaded the beta and tried to install it on this site.

I do remember that I had to rename the plugin to allow it to upload and activate However, it failed to operate so I deleted it and tried it out on fresh install on a test site.

I wonder, if I did load it here, might it have added something and caused a conflict?

Thanks for helping

Stef

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Stef,

Thank you for your patience and we have not forgotten about you nor the issue you have reported.

I must admit that I have been trying to get this to work for at least an hour and could get no where.

I invite you to join us in another ticket where I have flagged the "new" lead developer Maniu to help resolve this issue.

Hopefully you will be able to join us over there and we can get some resolve to this item.

Please advise.

In any event, have a GREAT upcoming weekend.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.